(RNN) - British officials are saying one man is dead in an apparent terrorist attack Wednesday afternoon in London on Wednesday.
According to BBC News, eyewitnesses said a man was attacked in a street by two men at about 2:20 p.m. local time. The two were later shot by officers.
The two suspects used butcher knives and meat cleavers to viciously hack a man who is reportedly a British soldier. The attack was in the London neighborhood of Woolwich near the Royal Artillery Barracks.
"The killing in #Woolwich is truly shocking – I have asked the Home Secretary to chair a COBRA meeting," Prime Minister David Cameron tweeted.
Cameron said there were "strong indications" that the man's killing was a terrorist incident.
COBRA, or Cabinet Office Briefing Room A, meetings are crisis response committees set up to coordinate the actions of different agencies, including security services, police and local authorities.
"We have suffered these attacks before, we have always beaten them back," Cameron said.
According to CNN, both suspects who were shot by police were taken to separate London hospitals to get treated for their injuries. One is in serious condition.
"I saw one man lying motionless on the ground," witness Lauren Collins said. "I also saw a car that looked like it had been in a traffic collision. The scene was chaos, there was a lot of police presence."
ITV News got gruesome video after the attack of a man with bloodied hands holding a meat cleaver and a knife giving a statement to a camera. It appeared the suspects wanted to have their pictures taken and video recorded.
"We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you," he said. "I apologize that women had to witness this today. But in our land, our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your government, they don't care about you."
The BBC reported sources had told them the men were shouting "Allah Akbar" as they carried out the attack.
UK Home Secretary Theresa May described it as a "a sickening and barbaric attack."
May stated security around Army barracks in London has been increased.
"The police and Security Service are establishing the full facts of this barbaric case, but there is a strong indication that it was an act of terrorism," she said. "In the meantime, security has been increased at Army barracks across London. This attack was an attack on everyone in the United Kingdom, and it will be condemned by people from every community. Our thoughts and prayers tonight are with the victim and his family."
The BBC reports that Andrew Parker, director general of MI5 - the British version of the CIA, has been briefed.
One witness told the BBC that two men jumped out of a car and attacked a man who was wearing a Help for Heroes shirt, which is a military charity.
"This afternoon's attack in Woolwich is a sickening deluded and unforgivable act of violence. My thoughts are with the victim and his family," London Mayor Boris Johnson tweeted.
It was nearly eight years ago that another major terrorist act rocked the city and left dozens dead.
On the morning of July 7, 2005, four bombs exploded on public transport vehicles, killing 52 people and injuring 700 others. Three bombs exploded one after another on London Underground trains, and the other bomb detonated on a double-decker bus.
Thirty-nine people died in the train explosions, and 13 died when the bomb went off on the upper deck of the bus traveling in Tavistock Square.
The bombers were later confirmed to be four Muslim extremists who were British citizens. They made the bombs using simple materials readily available to the public.
Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112