Click on the link above to view more photos of the blaze that destroyed a business and residence in downtown Jacksonville early Sunday morning. More >>
JACKSONVILLE, TX (KLTV) -
A large early morning fire destroyed one business and has left one residence in rubble.
Shortly after midnight, the call came in to Jacksonville fire that a building in downtown had caught fire. This is located in the 200 block of north Main Street. Upon arrival, crews found "Yum Yums Restaurant & Bakery" engulfed in flames. Crews from Jacksonville, Rusk, Bullard, Tyler, Earls Chapel, North Cherokee and Gallatin fire all responded to the scene.
Officials also say that there were living quarters above the business, and one person was inside of the residence when the fire started. They were able to escape without any injuries.
The business is owned by Johnny Marquez and Robert Lane. Marquez and his wife Crystal lived in the upstairs residence with a family friend Geral Copelow. We are told that Copelow was the only one home at the time of the fire. Authorities say the business and residence is a total loss. Surrounding buildings did suffer some smoke and water damage.
People in the area say that they did hear a loud bang or explosion just before the building caught fire, but fire officials say that they cannot confirm if that happened and if it is related to the fire. Reports from others in the area say that it was a transformer that blew. Authorities say that they do not have a cause in this fire and that they are continuing their investigation.
Officials have also added that part of N. Main street is blocked off to traffic because crews are worried that the building may collapse.
We are continuing to gather more information and will have the latest posted on KLTV.com