The FBI released images of the two people they are calling suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing.More >>
The Boston Marathon bombing suspect #2 Dzhokar Tsarnaev was captured alive by Mass. State police Friday night.More >>
(RNN) – Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev planned to detonate multiple explosives in New York City after the Boston Marathon bombing, officials said Thursday.
"[Wednesday] night, we were informed by the FBI that the surviving attacker revealed that New York City was next on their list of targets," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. "He told the FBI that he and his brother intended to drive to New York to detonate explosives in Times Square."
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect, told investigators he and his brother decided spontaneously to drive to New York City. This was discussed when they carjacked the SUV during their getaway attempt Thursday, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
They had one remaining pressure cooker explosive and five pipe bombs, he said.
"To the best of my knowledge, he's speaking, and he was more lucid, we're told, in the second interview," Kelly said. "[He has been] more expansive and giving more detail."
The commissioner added it was originally thought the suspects were coming to New York "to party."
Officials mobilized New York City Counter Terrorism Operations after the Boston Marathon bombings out of concern the city was next.
"Do I feel safe going out tonight? Yes," Bloomberg said. "Do I feel safe that every area of this city is protected? Yes, I do."
The surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing did not have any guns or explosives when authorities captured him, according to official sources.
The Associated Press and the Washington Post reported federal law enforcement did not find a firearm in the boat Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, hid inside in a Watertown, MA, neighborhood Friday. Initial reports from police said shots had been fired from inside the boat and they exchanged gunfire with him for about an hour.
The FBI has not publicly commented on what sparked shooting from authorities prior to the suspect being taken into custody. Tsarnaev was taken to a hospital in serious condition with multiple gunshot wounds, but there has been no word on if he was hurt in the final standoff or in an earlier shootout with police.
Photos taken of another firefight between authorities and men who appear to be the suspects showed one of them firing a weapon. Officials said the Tsarnaev brothers were responsible for the shooting death of MIT police officer Sean Collier on Friday, and at least one other officer was injured by gunfire.
The suspects' father has planned to travel to the U.S. within the next two days, possibly to claim the body of Tamerlan Tsarnaev.
Anzor Tsarnaev told reporters in the Dagestan province of Russia, where he and his wife reside, he would be leaving Thursday or Friday, the Associated Press reported. The mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, reportedly has not decided if she will make the trip; she was charged with felony shoplifting in Massachusetts a year ago, before the family moved overseas.
The father said he would cooperate with the FBI in the ongoing investigation, according to CNN. Federal authorities went to Russia on Wednesday for face to face interviews with the parents.
CNN reported 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev's body remained in possession of the state medical examiner's office Wednesday. Police said he died Friday during a firefight with officers a few hours after being identified as a suspect in the April 15 attack.
The second suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was still under care at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center on Thursday for gunshot wounds sustained during the getaway attempt, according to officials. He has been charged with use of a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death.
He could face the death penalty if convicted.
Two explosions happened within seconds of each other near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, held annually on Patriots Day. Three people died as a result, and more than 260 were injured.
Authorities said the explosives were housed inside pressure cookers with nails and metal ball bearings.
Martin Richard, an 8-year-old boy, stood with his family at the end of the race when the explosives ignited. He was killed, and his mother and 6-year-old sister lost their legs as a result.
Lu Lingzi, 23, a Chinese national attending Boston University in pursuit of her Master's degree, was killed as well. Krystle Campbell, a restaurant manager from Medford, MA, also died and was laid to rest Monday.
The One Fund, formed to help the people most affected by the events, had raised more than $22 million by Thursday.
Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.
Tuesday, April 22 2014 7:53 AM EDT2014-04-22 11:53:27 GMT
Unfinished business. Defiance. Hope, strength and resilience. They used different words but the meaning was the same for thousands of people who were stopped by twin bombings at last year's Boston Marathon and...More >>
Unfinished business. Defiance. Hope, strength and resilience. They used different words but the meaning was the same for thousands of people who were stopped by twin bombings at last year's Boston Marathon and came...More >>
Monday, April 21 2014 7:24 PM EDT2014-04-21 23:24:15 GMT
One year after a pair of homemade pressure-cooker bombs killed three people and wounded more than 260 others, turning a day of athletic triumph into one of tragedy, the Boston Marathon returns to the streets Monday.More >>
Some ran to honor the dead and wounded. Others were out to prove something to the world about their sport, the city or their country. And some wanted to prove something to themselves.More >>