Blog: Second Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody, police - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Breaking News

Blog: Second Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody, police confirm

Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev taken into custody Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev taken into custody
FBI Wanted Poster for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev FBI Wanted Poster for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Deceased Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Deceased
Map Courtesy CBS News Map Courtesy CBS News
BOSTON, MA (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Hawaii News Now will continue to bring you the latest developments in this developing story.

UPDATE at 3:17 p.m.
The suspect has arrived via ambulance at a Massachusetts hospital, heavily bleeding and wearing an oxygen mask, Boston TV news stations report.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people are lining the streets of Watertown, cheering and applauding, as law enforcement officials drive through town.  A media briefing is planned for 9:30 EST.  

For continuing in-depth coverage from Boston, click this link:

UPDATE: 3:00 p.m.
The suspect is covered in blood and being taken to an area hospital, Boston media outlets report.

The official Facebook page for the Boston Police Dept. writes, "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over.  The search is done.  The terror is over.  And justice has won.  Suspect is in custody."

UPDATE at 2:47 p.m.
The second Marathon bombing suspect is in custody.  Boston Police confirm the arrest of 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev with this tweet:

"Suspect in custody.  Officers sweeping the area.  Stand by for further info." @Boston_Police

UPDATE at 2:34 p.m.
Boston police say a negotiator is at the scene now.  News outlets in Boston, including WCVB-TV, report that blood is clearly visible on the boat.

UPDATE at 2:11 p.m.
Multiple news outlets report that police believe the suspect may be wearing a suicide vest.  The suspect has been seen moving inside the boat, according to reporters on the scene. 

Dozens of law enforcement officials have been surrounding the boat in a backyard on Franklin Street for the past hour after the homeowner noticed blood and a ladder up against the boat and called police.

UPDATE at 1:22 p.m.
Authorities say they have surrounded a man believed to be the second Marathon bombing suspect. The man is hiding on a boat behind an address on Franklin Street in Watertown, according to the Mayor of Boston.

Boston Police are now urging residents to return to their homes.

UPDATE at 1:05 p.m.
Several reporters in Watertown say they heard multiple shots fired and witnessed a massive surge of urgent police activity.  This comes as dozens of civilians are starting to enter the neighborhood.  The ‘shelter-in-place' order was lifted only an hour before the increased police activity and apparent gunfire.

A reporter for WBZ in Boston says multiple authorities are crouching and hiding in a parking lot not far from where the gunshots were heard.

It has not been confirmed, but The Boston Globe reports that the bombing suspect is pinned down in Watertown.

UPDATE at 12:21 p.m.
The governor of Massachusetts lifted the ‘shelter-in-place'order for residents in the greater in Boston area at 6 p.m. EST, however, a suspect has not been caught.

At a joint press briefing by authorities and local leaders, it was announced that mass transit will start to operate again on a normal schedule and public events planned for the weekend will go on as scheduled.

"You can get back out, as long as you are vigilant," said Gov. Deval Patrick.  "Remember there is still a very, very dangerous individual at large, but we feel confident … that we can begin to return living our lives."

Officials say over the past 15 hours since the gunfire Thursday night, they have followed several leads that took them through eastern Massachusetts, but none of those leads led them to the second bombing suspect.

Authorities say they are committed to finding 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, but they are drawing back tactical teams in Watertown.  An additional state police presence will monitor the neighborhood through Monday, officials say.

"We cannot continue to lockdown an entire city or an entire state," State Police say.

UPDATE at 11:53 a.m.
Authorities to give an update on the manhunt for the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect.  

Click the links for Live Stream or

President Barack Obama has called Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino to pledge the government's full support in the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing.

The White House says Obama expressed his condolences over the death of an MIT police officer killed overnight.

Obama received another briefing Friday afternoon in the Oval Office from Lisa Monaco, his counterterrorism and homeland security adviser.

Earlier Friday, he and Vice President Joe Biden were briefed in the Situation Room by his national security team, including Attorney General Eric Holder and FBI Director Robert Mueller.

One suspect is dead and a second remains at large. Thousands of officers have swarmed the streets in a manhunt that has virtually paralyzed the Boston area.

UPDATE at 11:20 a.m.
Seven IEDs were recovered in the searches so far, police officials say.  The IEDs were found in Watertown and at the house in Cambridge.  Police officials also confirm that during the early morning gun battle between police and the two suspects, around 200 rounds were exchanged.

UPDATE at 10:34 a.m.
The Associated Press reports:  Bruins cancel game; Red Sox on hold

Boston Red Sox players and other team employees have been told to stay home and Friday night's game will not be played.

The night game between the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins is also on hold after the NHL teams canceled their morning skates because of the manhunt for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

"We're just following the lead of the city officials and we have no word yet on what's going to happen," Red Sox chief operating officer Sam Kennedy said, "but employees have been told to stay home following the lead of the city officials.

"Players have been told to stay home and stay safe and we're just awaiting any word like everybody else."

The Red Sox were scheduled to play the Kansas City Royals at Fenway Park. Red Sox spokesman Kevin Gregg said the Royals have been in town since Wednesday night and spent their off day in the city on Thursday.

UPDATE at 10:15 a.m.
A full recap of this week's events, starting with the Marathon bombings, are now in this visual interactive timeline: 

UPDATE at 9:22 a.m.
Friends confirm the twitter handle @J_tsar belongs to the fugitive.  The last activity on this account was April 17, when he retweeted the words, "Attitude can take away your beauty no matter how good looking you are or it could enhance your beauty, making you adorable."

He sent five original tweets on the day of the Boston Marathon bombings, in this order:

"Ain't no love in the heart of the city, stay safe people."

"@MelloChamp what's new with them?"

"@MelloChamp and they what 'god hates dead people?' Or victims of tragedies? Lol those people are cooked"

"@MelloChamp *say"

"There are people that know the truth but stay silent & there are people that speak the truth but we don't hear them cuz they're the minority."

UPDATE at 7:35 a.m.
City officials are telling anyone within the lockdown zone who may have gone to work on Friday to leave their place of business and head home, even if it means calling for a taxi or asking a friend for a ride.

UPDATE at 6:35 a.m.
City and state officials have briefed the media on the current state of the search for 
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bomb attacks. Governor Deval Patrick says that the stay indoor request for the city of Boston and surrounding areas "continues for the time being."

Law enforcement officials also say that police have planned a controlled explosion as a house in Cambridge for this afternoon so that they can then search the house.

UPDATE at 6:29 a.m.
Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed by police early Friday morning, reportedly flew in and out of John F. Kennedy Airport last year and was out of the country for six months, according to NBC 4 News in New York. According to the station, investigators say they want to know if he received any terror training while he was overseas.

Tamerlan's younger brother, 19-year-old Dzhokhar, remains at large as police conduct a massive manhunt throughout Boston.

UPDATE at 5:50 a.m.
In a televised interview with national media, Ruslan Tsarni, the uncle of the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects, says to his nephew: "If you're alive, turn yourself in." Tsarni also tells the media that 'This has nothing to do with religion... This is the ideal migrant country... I love this country," and says that he is ready to "bend and kneel" in front of the victim's families to ask forgiveness.

UPDATE at 5:10 a.m.
The search for suspected Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is focused on a 20-block area in Watertown, and officials fear he may be wearing an explosive vest, according to the Boston Globe.

UPDATE at 4:23 a.m.
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth campus has been closed for safety reasons after it was revealed that suspected Boston Marathon bomber 
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is a student at the school. The following is a statement that was posted on the UMass Dartmouth website.

UMass Dartmouth has learned that a person being sought in connection with the Boston marathon bombing has been identified as a student registered at UMass Dartmouth. The campus is closedIndividuals on campus should shelter in place unless instructed otherwise.

UPDATE at 4:00 a.m.
The entire city of Boston remains in a state of lockdown on Friday morning while police conduct a manhunt for 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the two men believed to be responsible for the bombing attacks during the Boston Marathon on Monday.

Tsarnaev's brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tzarnaev, was killed during a shootout with police early Friday morning.

The MIT police officer who was killed during a confrontation with the two bombing suspects has been identified by the Middlesex District Attorney as 26-year-old Sean Collier of Somerville, Massachusetts.

Public transportation in Boston has been completely suspended, with bus routes, rail lines and subways all being shut down. Taxi service in Boston has also been suspended, and the FAA has instituted a temporary no-fly zone around Watertown as police continue to search for Tzarnaev.

UPDATE at 2:52 a.m.
The Boston Police Department is asking the news media not to compromise the safety of police officers by broadcasting tactical positions of the homes that are being searched. 

UPDATE at 2:34 a.m.
The FAA has issued a temporary flight restriction over Watertown, Mass., according to NBC Nightly News. A police helicopter can be seen flying over a house in the Watertown area. 

UPDATE at 2:18 a.m.
All taxi service in the City of Boston has been suspended until further notice, according to the Boston Police Department. 

UPDATE at 2:12 a.m.
The Boston Marathon bombing suspect who was killed early Friday morning has been identified as Russian-born 26-year-old Tamerlan Tzarnaev, according to NBC News. Tamerlan's brother and the second marathon bombing suspect, 19-year-old Dzhokhar, remains at large.

UPDATE at 2:06 a.m.
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has extended the "shelter in place" recommendation for several towns near Watertown to the entire city of Boston. Residents are asked to stay in their homes and not open doors to anyone except law enforcement personnel with identification. 

UPDATE at 1:56 a.m.
The Boston Regional Intelligence Center has released a "Wanted" poster with an updated photo of 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, as well as additional details, including his last known address. The wanted poster can be found in the photo column to the right. 

UPDATE at 1:23 a.m.
NBC News is reporting that "nearly 400,000 people were being asked to not leave their homes as police searched for the second of two men believed to have been involved in the marathon bombings earlier this week."

UPDATE at 1:02 a.m.
A federal law enforcement official tells the Boston Globe that the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects were brothers.

UPDATE at 12:47 a.m.
The surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect has been identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass., according to the Associated Press. 

UPDATE at 12:41 a.m.
The Associated Press is reporting that, according to sources, the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects are from Russia near the Chechnya region and have lived in the United States for at least a year. 

UPDATE at 12:28 a.m.
Tweet from the Boston Police Department's official Twitter account: #CommunityAlert: Residents of Watertown, Waltham, Newton, Belmont, Cambridge and Allston Brighton reminded to stay indoors.

UPDATE at 12:25 a.m.
All activities for the Boston public school system have been cancelled, and the list of college campuses closed for the day now includes UMass Boston, Boston University, Emerson College and Bentley University. 

UPDATE at 12:00 a.m. on Friday
Harvard has also elected to cancel classes for the day, issuing the following statement: Harvard University is closed due to public safety concerns.

UPDATE at 11:49 p.m.
Police officials are asking all residents in Watertown, Newton, Waltham and Cambridge to stay indoors or inside of their homes for the time being. Police are also requesting that businesses in those areas not open today until authorities "can provide further guidance and information."

UPDATE at at 11:43 p.m.
At the request of police, all mass transit lines in Boston, including subway lines, bus routes and commuter rails, have been shut down by the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority. Authorities are asking that people do not congregate at subway stations or bus stops.

UPDATE at 11:36 p.m.
A doctor at a Boston area hospital says that a patient believed to be the first of the two Boston Marathon suspects died in the hospital from combination of blast and gunshot wounds. The second suspect remains on the loose. 

UPDATE at 11:20 p.m.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has cancelled classes for Friday in the wake of Thursday night's events, according to a statement released by the school.

While the circumstances around the officer's death remain the subject of an active investigation, what is certain is that the officer gave his life to defend the peace of our campus. His sacrifice will never be forgotten by the Institute. We are thinking now of his family, and our hearts are heavy.

In consultation with faculty chair Sam Allen, we have decided to cancel classes today. All employees are encouraged to use their best judgment about whether they are prepared to come in to work today: any absence today will be considered excused.

UPDATE at 11:17 p.m.
Several media outlets continue to report a large law enforcement presence in Watertown, Massachusetts. 

UPDATE at 11:02 p.m.
CBS News is reporting that all hospitals in the Boston area are currently on lockdown. 

UPDATE at 11 p.m.
The Associated Press: 1 Boston suspect died at hospital after shootout with cops; explosives thrown in chase.

UPDATE at 10:35 p.m.
Boston police warn of possible explosives on the second suspect. Urge extreme caution.

UPDATE at 10:28 p.m.
We have posted a new photo of the second suspect, currently still on the loose, that was released by Boston Police on Thursday night.

Suspect photos:

UPDATE at 10:22 p.m.
During a press conference, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said, of the second suspect who remains on the loose: "We believe this man to be a terrorist. We believe he came here to kill people.'' Says there is a lockdown taking place over a 20 block radius in Watertown.

UPDATE at 10:06 p.m.
Ed Davis, the Commissioner of the Boston Police Department, is confirming that one of the suspects is dead and the second suspect is still at large and should be considered armed and dangerous. It is believed the suspect seen wearing the white hat in photos is still at large.

UPDATE at 9:51 p.m.
The Boston Globe is reporting that a second officer, this one a Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority officer, is being treated for a gunshot wound sustained during the hunt for the two bombing suspects.

UPDATE at 9:47 p.m.
The Boston Police Department is telling residents near Watertown, Mass. to stay indoors and not to answer the door for anyone unless instructed by police officers. 

UPDATE at 9:41 p.m.
FBI: We are aware of the police activity in the greater Boston area and are trying to work with local authorities to figure out exactly what happened.

Suspect photos:

UPDATE at 9:40 p.m.
Police have one man in custody and are seeking a second in connection with the shooting death of an Masachusetts Institute of Technology police officer in Cambridge, MA. WNBC, citing law enforcement officials, say there is a strong belief that the events that happened near MIT are related to the Boston Marathon bombing attacks.

The New York Times is reporting that the two suspects threw crudely lit bombs at police officers.

"The incident in Watertown did involve what we believe to be explosive devices possibly, potentially, being used against the police officers," Massachusetts State Police spokesman David Procopio reportedly told the Associated Press.

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved. 


Powered by Frankly