Registration for the City and County of Honolulu's Junior Lifeguard Program will open Saturday, April 27.
The City's Junior Lifeguard program familiarizes teenagers with ocean safety awareness and skills. Instructed by City and County of Honolulu Ocean Safety Division Lifeguards, the program includes instruction in surf rescue techniques, physical conditioning, swimming, CPR and First Aid training and lifeguard rescue related skills.
Participants must be 13-18 years of age at the time of registration, please no exceptions. All participants must be able to swim, this is not a learn to swim program. Swimwear, water, and home lunch are required daily.
On April 27th, on-site registration will be held from 9 a.m. until noon at Makaha Beach Park and at Ala Moana Beach Park (behind Tower lB, ewa side of the park). On-site registration will be held at Kalama Beach Park and Ehukai Beach Park on Saturday, May 4 from 9 a.m. until noon. Applicants are enrolled on a first come first serve basis.
Twenty-one children are allowed in each one-week program to maintain a safe instructor to student ratio. Each child receives a shirt and goodie bag at the end of each session. •
2013 Program Schedule:
- JG Week #1: May 27th- May 31st ALA MOANA BEACH PARK
- JG Week #2: June 3rd- June 7th KALAMA BEACH PARK
- JG Week #3: June lOth- June 14th MAKAHA BEACH PARK
- JG Week #4: June 17th- June 21st EHUKAI BEACH PARK
- JG Week #5: June 24th- June 28th ALA MOANA BEACH PARK
- JG Week #6: July 1st-July 5th KALAMA BEACH PARK (No class July 4th)
- JG Week #7: July 8th- July 12th MAKAHA BEACH PARK
- JG Week #8: July 15th- July 19th EHUKAI BEACH PARK