Kauai police arrest wanted attempted murder suspect Justin Wynn Klein

Kauai police arrest wanted attempted murder suspect Justin Wynn Klein
Justin Wynn Klein latest mugshot
Justin Wynn Klein latest mugshot
Photo of Justin Wynn Klein in 2012
Photo of Justin Wynn Klein in 2012

LIHUE, KAUAI (HawaiiNewsNow) - After four months on the run, the man accused of attempted murder after tossing a visitor off a cliff in Kalalau Valley on Kauai is behind bars.

Justin Wynn Klein was arrested Saturday afternoon at Lydgate Beach Park. The capture ends an extensive search that involved county, state, and federal officials.

Klein has been on the loose since allegedly throwing a 31-year-old Japanese woman from a cliff in mid-December.

During that span, police received about two dozen tips on his whereabouts, none of which were successful.

Many thought the 37-year-old may have fled the state, but he never left Kalalau where he was living off the grid.

He re-surfaced Saturday afternoon when he posted on his Facebook page, then called his sister to say he wanted to turn himself in.

"He said there was a group of about 15 people in the park and he went up to them and said, 'Hey, you want to make a little money? I'm Justin Klein, police are looking for me and there's a reward,'" said Klein's sister, Jody Pearson, who lives in Georgia.

Pearson says her brother first moved to Kauai from Oregon last May.

He lived in Salem with his wife and two daughters, but lost touch with his family when he started abusing drugs.

"I'm not going to tell you he's not guilty," Pearson said. "I'm not going to tell you he is guilty. I'm going to tell you that the person I grew up with, my little brother, is not capable of such things under normal circumstances in a normal frame of mind."

The victim of the attack has recovered and moved back to Japan.

Pearson says her and Klein met on Kauai and were romantically involved.

Police expect her to return to the state for Klein's trial.

"I'm just relieved that he's in custody and I would like to think that because of our continuous pressure in searching for him is what motivated him to turn himself in," said Kauai Assistant Police Chief Roy Asher.

Klein was indicted on second-degree attempted murder charges and being held on $1 million bail.

A trial date has not been set, but he is expected to appear in court later this week.

Related Links:

Search continues for attempted murder suspect on Kauai

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.