Wednesday, August 20 2014 5:43 AM EDT2014-08-20 09:43:48 GMT
A young girl says she was standing up for her religious beliefs in the classroom after breaking a class rule.More >>
A young girl, who claims she was standing up for her religious beliefs in the classroom, was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying "bless you" after a classmate sneezed. More >>
MAKAKILO, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
Honolulu police have arrested one of the suspects in connection with an assault and kidnapping case in which two people were beaten, reportedly with a baseball bat.
According to police, the suspect is 38 year-old Leslie Dabis. The state Public Safety Department said Dabis walked away from an OCCC furlough/re-socialization program January 14.
Dabis was arrested around 6:30 p.m. along the road to the Keehi Refuse Transfer Station, across from the Kalihi Transit Center.
Police said the incident happened at about 8:30 a.m. Friday, when two men entered the home on Palailai Street and attacked a 34-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman, reportedly with a baseball bat. They then forcibly took the woman with them.
According to investigators, Dabis is the woman's ex-boyfriend.
Others in the house were awakened and startled. "We got woken up by some commotion in the house," said homeowner Colin Shimotsu. "They just came in the house. This happened so quickly, they just did their thing and went, jumped in the car and rolled."
"It happened super fast, just like, really fast," said Joey Diaz, who had spent the night at the house. "They were in and out."
Shimotsu said the male victim had been hit in the head and had other injuries. "He came out staggering. he told me, 'I'm all hurt, I'm all hurt.' I told him, 'We need an ambulance?' I called the ambulance for him," said Shimotsu. The man was taken to the hospital in serious condition.
According to Shimotsu, the man had just rented a room from him a month ago. He comes in the wee hours of the night, so i don't know what his job is," he said.
Shimotsu and the others in the house had no idea who the attackers were.
According to the state Department of Public Safety, Dabis walked away from an OCCC furlough and re-socialization program on January 14. He has a criminal record, but had been serving a sentence for promotion of a detrimental drug, and wasn't considered to be a violent offender.
Police said the woman was found and is safe.
The second suspect remains at large. He is described as a Polynesian male in his late 20s to early 30s, 5-feet-8 to six feet in height, weighing 160 to 180 pounds. He also had short afro hair and had tattoos across his upper back that include letters and tribal markings.