Three-alarm Chinatown fire caused by faulty wall outlet - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Three-alarm Chinatown fire caused by faulty wall outlet

Posted: Updated:
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

The Honolulu Fire Department (HFD) fire investigators have completed their investigation of the fire at 1121 Nuuanu Avenue in Chinatown and determined that the fire accidentally began in an employee lounge and was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall outlet.

The fire occurred in the McLean Building on Tuesday, March 19 at about 11:25 p.m. Firefighters found heavy smoke showing from the Nuuanu Avenue and Bethel Street sides of the building and requested a second and rare third alarm while stretching hose lines into the building and attacking the fire.

Firefighters found the fire had breached the ceiling in the employee lounge and was beginning to spread through the common attic. Firefighters made an aggressive fire attack, which was able to stop the fire's spread in the attic. Firefighters confined the fire to the employee lounge and an adjacent storage room.

HFD fought this fire with 11 companies – 7 engines, 3 ladders, 1 rescue unit and 2 Battalion chiefs; approximately 55 firefighters. Firefighters had the fire under control by 12 a.m. and extinguished about 40 minutes later.

The fire caused moderate damage to the employee lounge and an adjacent storage room and light damage to an office. All three rooms belonged to the Indigo Restaurant; however the restaurant itself on the first floor was not damaged by the fire. There were no occupants present and no injuries reported. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

Related story: Firefighters extinguish blaze above Indigo Restaurant

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.