Investigators trace fatal Waipahu fire to wall outlet

HONOLULU (AP) - The fire that killed two people Tuesday in a Waipahu house is being blamed on a malfunctioning electrical wall outlet behind a kitchen refrigerator.

The fire killed 84-year-old Haruki Tokita and his daughter, 55-year-olld Karen Tokita.

Fifty-1-year-old Randy Tokita, a son of the elder Tokita, was taken to a hospital for observation.

Fire Capt. Terry Seelig tells the Honolulu Star-Advertiser ( that the department does not have the resources to analyze what went wrong with the outlet.

He says the electrical malfunction that started the fire was within the outlet and not the refrigerator.

A fire investigator found no smoke alarms in the house.

Seelig says the bodies were found in first-floor rooms where the victims usually slept.

Information from: Honolulu Star-Advertiser,

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.