Statements on the Vegas Strip shooting, wreck - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Statements on the Vegas Strip shooting, wreck

The usually bustling pedestrian corner at Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo Road was closed off following the deadly shooting and wreck on Feb. 21, 2013. (Dave Lawrence/FOX5) The usually bustling pedestrian corner at Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo Road was closed off following the deadly shooting and wreck on Feb. 21, 2013. (Dave Lawrence/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

MGM Resorts Vice President for Public Affairs Gordon Absher issued the following statement on Thursday afternoon concerning the shooting and subsequent wreck that claimed three lives:

"Each of our resorts employs fully trained, full-time, professional security departments and our extensive surveillance systems provide law enforcement with valuable assistance, often helping them close cases quickly. We continue to work closely with Metro on this investigation."

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) issued this statement following Metro Sheriff Doug Gillespie's media briefing on Thursday afternoon:

"The LVCVA, resort partners and law enforcement work closely to maintain a safe and secure experience for our visitors and residents. Recent incidents, while unfortunate, were isolated events. Las Vegas is among the safest travel destinations in the world and utilizes the most advanced technology and training to maintain a secure environment.

"Providing a safe and secure experience is our top priority. According to statistics from the Metro, violent crime in the tourism corridor was down approximately 13 percent in 2012 and is down nearly 11 percent so far this year. Las Vegas continues to be a safe place to visit."

Caesars Entertainment Director of Communications Gary Thompson issued this statement:

"What happened this morning is a terrible tragedy. My deepest sympathies are with the families of those that were lost."

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule

    In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:21:21 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 3:16 PM EDT2018-06-22 19:16:02 GMT
    A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

    Trump signs executive order to keep families together at border, says 'zero-tolerance' prosecution policy will continue.

    More >>

    Trump signs executive order to keep families together at border, says 'zero-tolerance' prosecution policy will continue.

    More >>
  • No clear plan yet on how to reunite parents with children

    No clear plan yet on how to reunite parents with children

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 2:31 AM EDT2018-06-20 06:31:19 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 3:09 PM EDT2018-06-22 19:09:35 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay). A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, in McAllen, Texas. More than 2,300 minors have been separated from their families crossing the border to...(AP Photo/Eric Gay). A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, in McAllen, Texas. More than 2,300 minors have been separated from their families crossing the border to...
    Trump administration officials have no clear plan on how to reunite some of the 2,300 minors separated from their families at the border as a result of a zero-tolerance policy of criminally prosecuting anyone...More >>
    Trump administration officials have no clear plan on how to reunite some of the 2,300 minors separated from their families at the border as a result of a zero-tolerance policy of criminally prosecuting anyone caught entering the U.S. illegally.More >>
  • High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

    High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

    Thursday, June 21 2018 10:32 AM EDT2018-06-21 14:32:03 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 3:08 PM EDT2018-06-22 19:08:24 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jessica Gresko, File). FILE - This April 23, 2018, file photo shows the Supreme Court in Washington.  The Supreme Court says states can force online shoppers to pay sales tax. The 5-4 ruling Thursday is a win for states, who said they were lo...(AP Photo/Jessica Gresko, File). FILE - This April 23, 2018, file photo shows the Supreme Court in Washington. The Supreme Court says states can force online shoppers to pay sales tax. The 5-4 ruling Thursday is a win for states, who said they were lo...

    The Supreme Court says states can force online shoppers to pay sales tax.

    More >>

    The Supreme Court says states can force online shoppers to pay sales tax.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly