Two bodies were discovered inside a Southington home Wednesday afternoon.
SOUTHINGTON, CT (WFSB) -
Southington police are investigating after two bodies were found inside a Cedar Street residence Wednesday afternoon.
Neighbors told Eyewitness News that the bodies of a man and a woman could have been inside the home for days or even weeks.
Property records show the home is owned by a William Gillan Jr.
Police said they were called to the home to perform a wellness check because someone was trying to make a delivery and couldn't make contact with anyone inside.
The person making the delivery also noticed there were a lot of newspapers starting to pile up outside the home.
"Last time, I went past there. I saw a few papers maybe five or six papers on the front steps and thought nothing of it," said neighbor Al Fahnestock. "And then when the ambulance went by yesterday, I walked down and what can I say, 'you just feel bad.'"
When officers arrived, they found the front door locked and called the Southington Fire Department to help them get the door open. Inside, police said they found two people dead.
Detectives with the Southington Police Department, along with investigators with the Connecticut State Police Major Crimes Squad, spent Wednesday night gathering evidence inside the home after the discovery of the bodies.
The identities of the people inside and details on how they died have not been released.
However, neighbors told Eyewitness News they believe the people found dead are the home owner and his mother.
"I always asked him how he was doing and how his mother was doing," Fahnestock said.
Fahnestock said Gillan had been laid off from The Hartford this past summer and now spent his days taking care of his mother, who suffered from dementia. He said his friend had mobility issues himself and walked with a cane.
"As far as I know, he was the sole caregiver to his mom," Fahnestock said. "And yet, if he fell in the house, he was so heavy that if he couldn't get himself up, she couldn't help him."
Fahnestock told Eyewitness News that the last time he say Gillan was about four weeks ago.
"When we used to talk it used to be a good friendly talk and I'll miss that," he said.
Police said they tested the inside of the home and found no elevated levels of carbon monoxide or other dangerous gas.
The office of the chief medical examiner is expected to perform an autopsy on the bodies Friday morning, which will determine their cause of death.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.