State task force on gun violence holds first meeting - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

State task force on gun violence holds first meeting

HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

Members of the state bipartisan task force on gun violence held their first ceremonial meeting Friday afternoon.

The Gun Violence and Children's Safety task force will review current laws and make proposals on a range of potential legislation to prevent gun violence, improve school security and ensure mental health services in the state.

"These three committees are going to have a lot of overlap," said state Sen. Beth Bye, D-Hartford.

The task force met for an organizational meeting with no hearings or testimony taking place at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.

"Tolerance, civility, understanding, bipartisan cooperation, and I think if we can pledge to do all of these on this journey," said Minority Leader Larry Cafero. "I think we can arrive at the end of this journey with good results."

The task force will work together with Gov. Dannel Malloy's Sandy Hook Advisory Commission, which consists of experts and professionals on school safety, mental health and gun control.

The commission, which is being led by Chairman Scott Jackson, who is the mayor of Hamden, also will be bringing Malloy recommendations on those same three categories by mid-March in time for the regular session.

The commission and task force were formed after Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother at their home, then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School and killed 26 children and adults on Dec. 14.

The task force announced its upcoming hearing schedule following the meeting.

  • Public hearing focusing on school safety on Jan. 25 at 9:30 a.m. at room 2C at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.
  • Public hearing focusing on gun safety on Jan. 28 at 10 a.m. at room 2C at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.
  • Public hearing focusing on mental health issues on Jan. 29 at 10 a.m. at room 2C at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.
  • Public hearing (topic is unknown at this time) on Jan. 30 at 6 p.m. at Newtown High School.

The hearings will give the public the chance to give the task force their opinions before the members make their recommendations.

"We're really gonna listen to the public," Cafero said.

The task force is also setting up a website for people, who cannot attend the hearings, to add their input.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • Mililanii assault reclassified as murder

    Mililanii assault reclassified as murder

    Sunday, December 17 2017 3:36 PM EST2017-12-17 20:36:21 GMT

    HONOLULU, Hawaii - Family member say the victim in a Mililanii assault case has died.  52-year-old Thomas Morikawa was taken off life support Friday, according to family members. Police say, Morikawa was punched at Jungle Juice Market on December 8. Morikawa hit his head on the floor during the assault.  He was transported to hospital in critical condition.  Police have not identified a suspect, but say the two men knew each other.  Authorities have now r...

    More >>

    HONOLULU, Hawaii - Family member say the victim in a Mililanii assault case has died.  52-year-old Thomas Morikawa was taken off life support Friday, according to family members. Police say, Morikawa was punched at Jungle Juice Market on December 8. Morikawa hit his head on the floor during the assault.  He was transported to hospital in critical condition.  Police have not identified a suspect, but say the two men knew each other.  Authorities have now r...

    More >>
  • Man dies a week after Mililani assault

    Man dies a week after Mililani assault

    Sunday, December 17 2017 2:50 PM EST2017-12-17 19:50:35 GMT
    (Image: Family)(Image: Family)

    A 52-year-old man who was punched last week at a Mililani eatery has died. 

    More >>

    A 52-year-old man who was punched last week at a Mililani eatery has died. 

    More >>
  • No arrests after string of intentionally set blazes in Kailua

    No arrests after string of intentionally set blazes in Kailua

    Sunday, December 17 2017 2:27 PM EST2017-12-17 19:27:47 GMT
    (Image: Hawaii News Now)(Image: Hawaii News Now)

    Authorities are investigating four intentionally set structure fires in Kailua overnight. 

    More >>

    Authorities are investigating four intentionally set structure fires in Kailua overnight. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly