Gary Mooring, current Tyler ISD interim superintendent, has been hired as the permanent Tyler ISD superintendent.
Mooring was selected as the lone finalist for the District's superintendent position in December 2012.
When Mooring settled into the interim superintendent position back in August, he said he had no intention of making it permanent, but that changed.
In 2006, Mooring joined Tyler ISD as deputy superintendent and later served as interim superintendent.
"After being out of the district for a few years working at Tyler Junior College, I got back into the position and really was excited about the challenges," Mooring said back in December.
Those challenges include helping the district meet Federal Adequate Yearly Progress standards, something the district has struggled with in the past.
"There's not one person in this district or probably in any district that's not looking to improve and we're also looking at best practices throughout the state. What has helped other districts be successful? There has been progress in what we've done," Mooring said.
Wednesday, March 5 2014 8:29 AM EST2014-03-05 13:29:40 GMT
Several Smith County fire crews have contained an early morning house fire in Overton. Authorities tell us the fire began around 5:00 Wednesday morning in the 400 block of E. South Street. Arp, OvertonMore >>
Several Smith County fire crews have contained an early morning house fire in Overton.More >>
Wednesday, March 5 2014 12:20 AM EST2014-03-05 05:20:20 GMT
Final results are in for several high-profile elections.In the primary race for State House, District 6 Republican Matt Schaefer defeated challenger Skip Ogle. In the Smith County Judge Republican primary,More >>
Final results are in for several important Smith County elections.More >>
Tuesday, March 4 2014 7:41 PM EST2014-03-05 00:41:37 GMT
A gas leak has forced the polling place at Gary Elementary to close and the building is being evacuated, according to Smith County election officials. This affects voters in Precincts 36, 70 and 80. ThoseMore >>
A gas leak has forced the polling place at Gary Elementary to close.More >>