As of 9:30 p.m., there have been three reports of probable fireworks-related fires on New Year's Eve.
Firefighters responded and extinguished a rubbish fire on Mokuola Street in Waipahu at 8:42 p.m. There was no property damage or injuries. This fire was also probably fireworks related and was the third such fire today.
The first report was for a building fire on Akone Place in Kalihi Valley at 4:04 p.m. Firefighters found that a young male child, approximately 9 years old, had lit sparklers inside the home and accidentally ignited papers on a desk. The fire was controlled by the child's parents prior to the HFD's arrival and caused minor damage to the desk and adjacent wall. Damage is estimated at $500.
The second report was for a rubbish fire on Pupupuhi Street in Waipahu at 6:49 p.m. Firefighters found and extinguished a fire in the street that had been intentionally ignited by firecrackers. Bystanders continued to ignite and throw firecrackers into the street even as firefighters worked to extinguisher the rubbish fire. There was no property damage or injuries.