(HawaiiNewsNow)- In this season of giving, Ward Centers is giving Honolulu residents another reason to celebrate Christmas early in Kaka‘ako. On Dec. 8, visitors and kama‘âina are invited to unwrap the holiday season and "Discover Kaka‘ako" at Ward Centers from 5-10 p.m. with a variety of free holiday activities, fashion shows, live concerts, food trucks and giveaways.
"As part of our commitment to build a Kaka‘ako for all, Ward Centers launched Discover Kaka‘ako last month to create monthly opportunities for kama‘âina to visit and take advantage of the many great things that our neighborhood has to offer," said Katie Ka‘anapu, Ward Centers' senior marketing manager. "With a lineup of holiday offerings throughout the month, Discover Kaka‘ako is just another great reason to get into the spirit of the season and rediscover the many things – from street fashion to street food – that make Kaka‘ako and Ward Centers so special."
Presented by Hawai‘i State Federal Credit Union, this month's Discover Kaka‘ako will take place in the parking lot fronting Ward Centers' Consolidated Theatres movie theater, in Ward Warehouse and also in Ward Centre. A lineup of events includes:
Parking lot fronting Ward Centers' Consolidated Theatres Movie Theater
- The night will kick off with music and entertainment starting at 5 p.m. Entertainers to be announced shortly.
- Say cheese! Snap a free photo with Santa at the Hawai‘i State Federal Credit Union booth from 5:45-6:45 p.m.
- From 8:30-10 p.m. Soul Shakedown will take center stage and will have guests rockin' around the Christmas tree.
- And what would the season of giving be without a little receiving? Which is why Ward Centers is giving away great prizes from a number of Ward Centers merchants at 8:15 p.m. at the main stage.
- Get a glimpse of the season's latest trends during a free fashion show at 6 p.m. at the Ward Warehouse stage, featuring clothing from Calista, Cinnamon Girl, T&C Surf and MisFortune Hawai‘i. Production assistance will be provided by The Goodwill GLAM! Squad which is made up of volunteer professionals and aspiring professionals in the fields of media, marketing, event management and general project support.
- Fashion fanatics can strut over to the University of Hawai‘i Mânoa Costume Collection pop up display in Ward Warehouse on the second floor across from Island Guitars to see vintage and historic pieces from the University's archives.
- For more fashion finds head next door to the Hawai‘i Fashion Incubator Coop space to shop trendy, local and unique fashion from designers such as Salty Girl, Umee, Maui Thing, 1979, H&K Handbags, Mamanukids and more.
- Enjoy treats to eat and see at the Food and Art Open House throughout Ward Centre. Merchants including Honolulu Chocolate Company, Big Island Delights, Island Olive Oil Company, ZPizza, The Fine Art Associates, The Gallery at Ward Centre and Jeff Chang Fine Pottery & Crafts will be offering free food sampling and in-store art displays.
- Check off your gift-giving list at the Hawai‘i Fashion Incubator pop up boutique inside JAMS World. Featured designers include Ecolicious, Machine Machine, Organik, Stir Crazy, The Base Project and more.
- Shop and stroll to festive entertainment throughout Ward Centre from 5-7 p.m.
Starting this month, Discover Kaka‘ako regulars will want to enter to win one of two trips to Las Vegas in 2013, courtesy of Vacations Hawai‘i. Shoppers can increase their chances of winning by entering at each Discover Kaka‘ako event every month. Winners will be announced in June and December 2013.
Discover Kaka‘ako is part of a larger campaign of events known as "Discover Our Islands" that was launched to recognize and honor Hawai‘i's unique culture. Neighborhoods across the state -- including Kapolei, Kailua, and Waikîkî -- hold similar events throughout the year, recognizing the unique characteristics and features of each area. Other events also taking place in Kaka‘ako on Dec. 8 include "Kakaʻako Kalikimaka," an event presented by Street Grindz, and taking place at Kakaʻako Makai Gateway Parks.
Ward Centers is located in the heart of Kaka‘ako and is Honolulu's premier street shopping, dining and entertainment district with 135 unique shops and 40 eateries. Parking for Discover Kaka‘ako is available at any of Ward Centers' 4,200 event parking stalls located at the T.J.Maxx parking structure, Ward Warehouse, Ward Entertainment structure and Ward Center.
To stay up to date on upcoming Discover Kaka‘ako events, visit the Ward Center website by clicking HERE. You may also visit the Facebook page HERE. And on Twitter HERE
The Howard Hughes Corporation owns, manages and develops commercial, residential and mixed-use real estate throughout the country. The company's properties include master planned communities, operating properties, development opportunities, and other unique assets spanning 18 states from New York to Hawaii. For more information on the company, visit the their website by clicking HERE.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.