Unattended candle causes fire on Maui - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Unattended candle causes fire on Maui

HANA, MAUI (HawaiiNewsNow) -

 

A lit, unattended candle on a shrine at a home in Hana caused approximately $5,000 in damage after it started a fire Sunday morning, according to the Maui Fire Department.

Fire department officials say crews were dispatched by Hana Central at 9:11 a.m. to a possible fire near the 28 mile marker of Hana Highway, where it was reported that there was a lot of smoke coming from a building. 

Upon arrival, crews noticed the smoke and found flames visible through a window near the back of the building. 

Firefighters then entered the home and had extinguished the fire by 9:29 a.m.

No occupants were found home at the time of the fire, and the Red Cross is assisting the couple that lives there.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly