Brush fire under control in Waikele - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Brush fire under control in Waikele

The Honolulu Fire Department was able to get a brush fire under control in Waikele again this morning at 7:50 a.m. after it rekindled due to overheating.

The piles of mulch first caught fire last night and caused a brush fire close to the Waikele Golf Course at around 7:45 p.m.

The pile of mulch is about four feet high and about 50 to 80 feet long and 20 feet wide. Due to its size, it took a while for crews to put enough water on it to put it out. After about two hours, crews had put the fire put out.

According to Captain Seelig, the fire more than likely started due to spontaneous combustion.

No property was damaged and no injuries were reported.

The fire was adjacent to the freeway, but was not impacted by the smoke.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly