SAN DIEGO (AP) - Ryan Katz ran for three touchdowns and threw for two more as San Diego State had its way with Hawaii on Saturday night, coasting to a 52-14 victory.
Katz scored the first touchdown of the night off a 27-yard run. He also scored on two more runs, including a 34-yard run in the second quarter. Brice Butler scored on a 36-yard pass from Katz, and Adam Muema caught a 31-yard pass for a touchdown. Katz was 25 of 29 passing for 190 yards.
For Hawaii (1-4, 0-2 Mountain West), Sean Schroeder was 14 of 28 passing for 112 yards, with a touchdown. Will Gregory had 22 carries for 81 yards and a touchdown.
With 52 points, San Diego State (3-3, 1-1, Mountain West) matched its record for most points scored in a game. The previous 52 points came during a win against Portland State in 2007.
Some notes from UH vs SDSU
- SDSU leads the all-time series 16-9-2, including an 8-3 advantage in San Diego
- The Aztecs have won the last six games played in San Diego.
- The last time UH started a season 1-4 was in 2005, when it finished the regular season 5-7 overall and 4-4 in the Western Athletic Conference.
- UH is off to its first 0-2 conference start since 2009 when the Warrior dropped its first five WAC games.
- The Warriors have lost their last five conference games dating back to last year (2 MW; 3 WAC).
- UH made its 62nd all-time appearances on national television and now is 17-43-2 record in those games. UH has dropped eight nationally televised games dating back to last season, including an 0-4 mark this year.
- The Warriors ended a scoreless streak of nearly six quarters with Sean Schroeder's 1-yard pass to Trevor Davis midway through the second quarter.
- Will Gregory scored his second career touchdown with a 3-yard plunge on UH's opening drive of the second half. Gregory's 22 carries were the most by a Warrior since James Fenderson's 23 rushing attempts in a win over Louisiana Tech in 2000.
- Making their first career starts for the Warriors were Chanucy Winchester-Makainai (OL), Benny Fonua (LB), Jerrol Garcia-Williams (LB) and Jordan Pu‘u Robinson (DL),
- UH has given up 45 or more points in each of the last three games. The last time that happened within a single season was in 1998 when UH surrendered 45+ points in the final four games of the year.
- The Warriors produced less than 200 yards of total offense for the second straight game (149 at BYU; 173 at SDSU). The last time that happened was in 1996 (145 vs. BYU; 183 vs. Wisconsin)