(HawaiiNewsNow) - The Hawai`i Lions of District 50 as part of their "S.O.S. - Seven Days of Service", will be out in force throughout the state, Saturday, October 6, 2012. The S.O.S. is a weeklong visible presence with over 1800 supporting Hawaii members taking on several large community service projects. The Hawaii Lions Statewide Food Drive is one of these missions and will be the Grand Finale of the S.O.S. In partnership with the Hawaii Foodbank, the Lions will be collecting canned goods ONLY which include the Hawaii Foodbank's most wanted foods:
- Meats & Tuna
- Canned Meals
Many families in Hawaii have difficulty putting food on their table; it is especially a challenge when good people are struggling to make ends meet. You can be part of the Lions effort by making a difference, helping those that really need help.
The Hawaii Foodbank continually needs to have its inventory replenished. Canned foods are the MOST WANTED items that supply the Hawaii Foodbank food pantries, feeding programs, homeless & abuse shelters, rehabilitation centers and soup kitchens. Hawaii Foodbank distributes nearly a million pounds of food to needy islanders each month. The Hawaii Foodbank receives canned goods primarily through community food drives like the Lions Club Food Drive. It is their hope that the Lions Club Food Drive will be a great success and the canned goods collected will help needy island families through the holidays.
According to "Hunger in Hawaii 2010," the Hawaii Foodbank helps feed 183,500 people statewide each year. Of those people, 55,050 are children, and 11,010 are seniors! Your donations also help feed; low-income families, the homeless, disabled including war veterans and the unemployed.
Monetary donations will be accepted and very much appreciated at the drop off area. Cash is welcomed. Every $10 dollars donated, enables the Hawaii Foodbank to distribute food for 25 meals. Please make your tax deductible check payable to either:
Oahu - "HAWAII FOODBANK"
Maui - "MAUI FOOD BANK"
Hawaii - "THE FOOD BASKET"
For more info: Contact Nadine Nishioka, Hawaii Lions Member & Chairperson of SOS Week and the Food Collection Drive (808) 391-8145.
Find out more about the Hawaii Lions and becoming a member by visiting the website HERE!
Hundreds of Hawaii Lions & the youth Leo Club volunteers throughout the state will staff the collections sites listed. The Public is asked to stop by any one of these locations, and to make their own donations directly.
• MAIN SITE - Hawai`i Convention Center Porte Cochere 1801 Kalakaua Avenue, 8:30am-2:30pm (which is the area extending from the entrance of the Convention Center over its adjacent driveway, which will safely allow vehicles to pass from the street to the interior drop off area)
• Charles Crane Lodge 3640 Crater Road, 10:00am-2:00pm
• Longs Drugs (Wahiawa Town Center) 925 California Ave. in Wahiawa, 8:30am-2:00pm
• KTA (Kailua) - Kona Coast Shopping Center, 74-5594 Palani Rd, 8:30am-2:00pm
• KTA (Keahou) - Keauhou Shopping Center, 78-6831 Ali`i Drive, 8:30am-2:00pm
• Choice Mart (Captain Cook) - 82-6066 Mamalahoa Hwy
• Sack-N-Save (Kailua Kona) - 75-5595 Palani Road
KAUAI (All locations: 9:00am - 3:00pm)
• Foodland (Princeville) - 5-4280 Kuhio Highway
• Sueoka Store (Koloa) - 5392 Koloa Road
• Big Kmart - 4303 Nawiliwili Road
• Foodland (Waipouli) - 4-771 Kuhio Highway
• Ishihara Market (Waimea) - 9890 Kahakai Road
• Christ the King Church - 20 West Wakea Avenue
• Feed My Sheep -162 Alamaha Street
• Island Wide Food Drive
Find out more about the Hawaii Lions and becoming a member HERE!
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112