Wednesday, December 4 2013 7:37 AM EST2013-12-04 12:37:40 GMT
Senior quarterback Zach Mettenberger will not be playing in LSU's upcoming bowl game due to a torn ACL that occurred during the 31-27 victory over Arkansas, according to ESPN reports.Mettenberger leftMore >>
LSU senior quarterback Zach Mettenberger will not be playing in the upcoming bowl game due to a torn ACL he suffered in the 31-27 win over Arkansas, according to ESPN reports.More >>
Monday, December 2 2013 12:07 PM EST2013-12-02 17:07:19 GMT
After leading LSU on a 99-yard game winning touchdown drive against Arkansas, LSU quarterback Anthony Jennings has been named Co-Freshman SEC Player of the Week.The freshman quarterback replaced an injuredMore >>
After leading LSU on a 99-yard game-winning touchdown drive against Arkansas, LSU quarterback Anthony Jennings has been named Co-Freshman SEC Player of the Week.More >>
Monday, December 2 2013 11:51 AM EST2013-12-02 16:51:34 GMT
Les Miles and the LSU Tigers got some very good news Monday morning.Alabama got some much needed good news after a shocking 34-28 loss to Auburn in the Iron Bowl on Saturday.Neville High School safetyMore >>
Neville High School safety Laurence "Hootie" Jones announced Monday morning that he has verbally committed to the Crimson Tide.More >>
Friday, November 29 2013 10:00 PM EST2013-11-30 03:00:59 GMT
Arkansas leads 17-14 over LSU as this year's "Battle for the Boot" game goes into halftime.Terrence Magee scored both of LSU's two touchdowns in the first half, but the Razorbacks answered each with oneMore >>
True freshman backup QB Anthony Jennings found red shirt freshman WR Travin Dural for a TD with less than 2:00 in the game, as LSU came from behind to beat Arkansas 31-27.More >>
From LSU Sports
Second-ranked LSU opens Southeastern Conference play on Saturday, traveling to face Auburn in a nationally-televised contest at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN in Jordan-Hare Stadium.
LSU goes into the game coming off a 63-14 win over Idaho, while Auburn survived an overtime scare from Louisiana-Monroe, 31-28. Last year, LSU posted a 45-10 win over Auburn in Tiger Stadium in what was the largest-margin of victory for either team in the series. LSU leads the overall series, 25-20-1.
LSU goes into the Auburn game riding a 24-game winning streak in games played during the month of September (last loss at Auburn, 2006) as well as the nation's longest regular-season winning streak at 16 straight (13 in 2011, 3 in 2012).
With its win over Idaho last week, LSU set the FBS record for consecutive non-conference regular season wins with 40 in a row dating back to the 2002 season. LSU also set the school record for consecutive wins in Tiger Stadium at 20 straight. With its 63-14 win over Idaho, 16 of LSU's last 17 wins have come by double-digits and the Tigers have scored 40 or more points in 13 of their last 17 contests.
LSU goes into the Auburn game leading the SEC in scoring (48.3 ppg), rushing offense (269.3 ypg), rushing defense (47.0 ypg) and total defense (205.0 ypg). LSU is also allowing just 10.3 points per game – third in the league. Junior QB Zach Mettenberger (3-0 as a starter) has completed 48-of-66 passes (73 percent) for 609 yards, 4 TDs and just 2 interceptions. Four LSU running backs have scored at least 2 TDs with sophomore Kenny Hilliard leading the way with 303 rushing yards and an SEC-best 6 TDs. Alfred Blue is second on team with 270 rushing yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore WR Jarvis Landry leads the team with 14 catches for 137 yards and 1 score.
Defensively, 13 players have at least one tackle for loss and/or a sack to their credit with LB Kevin Minter (21 tackles, 3.0 TFL) leading the way. LB Lamin Barrow (18 tackles) and true freshman CB Jalen Mills (17 tackles, 2 int., 1 PBU) are other defensive leaders for the Tigers. P Brad Wing (48.6) and PK Drew Alleman (4-of-5 FGs, 19-of-19 PATs) lead LSU's special teams.
LSU goes into the Auburn game undefeated for the third straight year and for the fifth time in eight years under Les Miles. LSU was 2-0 in 2006 and 2008 and 7-0 in 2010 and 2011 heading into the Auburn game.
• LSU is looking to go 4-0 for the 6th straight year. LSU's current streak of starting 4-0 for five straight years is the longest such streak in school history.
• LSU opened the season by scoring 40 or more points in its first three games, which is only the second time in modern day school history (SEC era) that it's ever happened. The only other time came in 2007.
• The winner of the LSU-Auburn game has gone on to represent the Western Division in the SEC Championship Game 8 of the last 12 years.
• Home team in the LSU-Auburn series has won 11 of last 12 meetings, with the exception coming in 2008 when LSU won at Jordan-Hare Stadium, 26-21.
• LSU is 47-4 vs. unranked teams under Les Miles, which includes a current streak of 15 straight wins.
• LSU has scored 11 defensive TDs under defensive coordinator John Chavis (43 games). Last week, LSU returned a pair of interceptions for TDs for its first defensive scores of 2012.
• LSU has scored 18 special teams touchdowns under Les Miles (10 punt returns, 3 kickoff returns, 2 returns of a blocked field goal, 1 return of a fumbled punt, 1 return of a blocked punt, and 1 fake field goal).
• LSU has won 24 straight games during the month of September, a streak that dates back to a 7-3 loss at Auburn in 2006.
• LSU is 38-4 under Les Miles, including 22 straight victories, when having fewer turnovers than its opponent.
• LSU is ranked in the Top 10 in both the AP and USA Today Coaches Polls for the 21st consecutive week. The streak dates back to the final polls of the 2010 season.
Friday, December 6 2013 1:35 PM EST2013-12-06 18:35:45 GMT
(RNN) - As the curtain falls on the BCS era, the college football championship picture is, as usual, a colossal mess. But change is in the wind and relief is in sight. Sort of. Next year the championshipMore >>
This will be the last year for the much-criticized Bowl Championship Series, which has produced college football national championship games since 1998. The new College Football Playoff will be just as controversial, but much, much more lucrative. Here's a look at what the future holds.More >>
Wednesday, December 4 2013 12:18 PM EST2013-12-04 17:18:08 GMT
Rantankerous [ran-tank'uhr-us] (adjective) - A combination of rant [to speak in a wild or extravagant manner] and cantankerous [contentious, disagreeable]. The word is the only suitable description forMore >>
One year after they were forgotten and looked down upon, Missouri and Auburn provide an intriguing matchup in the SEC Championship Game.More >>
Tuesday, December 3 2013 6:44 PM EST2013-12-03 23:44:02 GMT
Currently both versions of the Tigers are on the outside looking in at the BCS national championship. The question is if either deserves to be there after a win in Atlanta.More >>
Currently both versions of the Tigers are on the outside looking in with undefeated Florida State and Ohio State taking the top two spots in the BCS standings. The question is if either deserves to be replaced in favor of the SEC champion. More >>