(HawaiiNewsNow) - Kamakakehau Fernandez was selected as the winner of the fourth annual Kani Ka Pila Grille Talent Search on Saturday, August 18, 2012 at the Made in Hawaii Festival. He was born in Arkansas, adopted at six-weeks-old, and raised on the island of Maui. He has studied Hawaiian culture and is proud to be a fluent Hawaiian language speaker. Fernandez credits his family and home for their integral role in shaping him into the singer and musician he is today. Fernandez will receive a one-month paid contract to perform weekly this September at Kani Ka Pila Grille, located poolside Outrigger Reef on the Beach, as well as complimentary studio time at Honolulu Community College's Mike Curb MELE Studios. The five finalists from the Kani Ka Pila Grille Talent Search were initially selected based on a sample performance submitted by DVD or online link, and later evaluated by their final performances at the Made in Hawaii Festival. Fernandez will be performing at Kani Ka Pila Grille every Thursday night throughout the month of September and at Waikiki Beach Walk on October 30.
Additionally, the four remaining finalists from the talent search will perform for one night each, per week, at both Kani Ka Pila Grille and Waikiki Beach Walk throughout the month of October. All Kani Ka Pila performances are 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.; Waikiki Beach Walk performances are 5 p.m. - 6 p.m.
A complete schedule of appearances includes:
- Kamakakehau Fernandez: Kani Ka Pila Grille, Sept. 6, 13, 20, 27; and Waikiki Beach Walk, Oct. 30
- Simply Sedd: Kani Ka Pila Grille, Oct. 4; and Waikiki Beach Walk, Oct. 2
- K.B. Riley: Kani Ka Pila Grille, Oct. 11; and Waikiki Beach Walk, Oct. 9
- Halawa: Kani Ka Pila Grille, Oct. 18; and Waikiki Beach Walk, Oct. 16
- Coyne Street: Kani Ka Pila Grille, Oct. 25; and Waikiki Beach Walk, Oct. 23