KAHULUI, Maui (HawaiiNewsNow) - Maui officials say a fire at the Hawaiian Canoe Club Hale in Kahului was intentionally set.
According to the Maui Fire Department, the incident happened at 8:30 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses say they saw a male in his late teens take a cigarette lighter to the roof covering.
About 100 square feet of the structure was damaged before the fire sprinkler system brought the fire under control.
When MFD crews arrived to the scene, they discovered a small smoldering fire on the roof. The fire was extinguished at about 9 p.m.
A brand new outrigger canoe, which was stored in the hale, was also partially damaged.
Damages to the structure and contents are estimated at $3,000.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call police.