Boy playing with lighter cause of Ford Island house fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Boy playing with lighter cause of Ford Island house fire


A fire that broke out in a two-story residence on Ford Island Friday night was caused by a seven-year-old boy playing with a lighter, authorities said.

According to Federal Fire Department investigators, the boy was playing with the lighter in a bedroom closet in the home at 1043 West Virginia Street. Four Honolulu fire companies and three Federal fire companies responded to the blaze shortly after 9 p.m. The fire was brought under control about an hour later.

Damage was confined to a back bedroom of the four-bedroom home. However, investigators said the second floor was heavily damaged by smoke and water, and the first floor sustained water damage.

Investigators said the boy suffered minor burns to his arm and was treated at the scene. The boy's parents and two older siblings were unhurt.

The Navy's housing partner, Forest City, was working with insurance representatives to determine a damage estimate.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly