HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hawaii resident Lori McCarney is competing in the "Kona Inspired" voting contest and needs all of Hawaii's help to finish what she started. This mother of three and Senior Vice President at Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties competed in the Ironman World Championship in 2009 at the age of 55. She stumbled and crawled for more than 20 miles on the marathon portion of the event, arriving a mere half a mile from the finish when time ran out at midnight. Now, three years later she is the only person from Hawaii in the online contest, competing against 14 others from around the world to receive an invitation to the Ironman World Championship. The two people who receive the most votes for the Kona Inspired contest will be given a spot to compete in Kona this October.
Voting is free, and can be done once every 24 hours for the two-week voting period July 4 - July 18. Click HERE to vote. You can vote every day between July 4 and 18.
Lori first started training for triathlons on her 50th birthday to deal with stress and to keep healthy. She has competed in four other Ironman races to date, and competes in five to six local triathlons each year. Lori also shares her experience with others, and began coaching last year for The Na Wahine Triathlon.
"When I came so close, yet didn't finish the Kona Ironman in 2009, it was really tough for me. I tried so hard, never giving up, but my body just couldn't do it because of a recent injury. I healed, regrouped and competed two months later in Western Australia's Ironman and placed third in my age group," McCarney said. "I truly want to go back and conquer Kona, and with enough votes I can get a slot. I ask the people of Hawaii to help me by voting for my video, as then I can finish what I started and hopefully be an inspiration to others. I named my video 'Never Give Up', because I want to demonstrate to people that you should keep pushing forward to achieve your goals, even when you have major defeats along the way."
· Qualified for the Ironman World Championships in June, 2009 at the Hawaii Half Ironman
· Ironman World Championship, October 2009: Got to within ½ mile of the finish when time ran out.
· Ironman Western Australia, December 2009: About eight weeks after Kona, Lori competed and placed third in her age group.
· Ironman Cozumel, November 2010: Finished second in her age group
· Ironman France, June 2011: Dropped out after the bike on the toughest bike course in the circuit and having trained for a different race course, Ironman China, which was cancelled just weeks before it was to be held.
· Ironman Asia Pacific Championship, Melbourne Australia, March 2012: Finished second in her age group
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Lori's Ironman History
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112