Waikiki sewer project nearing completion - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Waikiki sewer project nearing completion

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Honolulu Mayor Peter Carlisle Wednesday announced that the Beachwalk Force Main sewer project in Waikiki is nearing completion.

As the portion of the new permanent force main that connects the Beachwalk Wastewater Pump Station in Waikiki to the temporary bypass line on the mauka side of the Ala Wai Canal has been completed, two smaller 28-inch temporary pipes will be floated to the canal's surface and removed this week.

 The two smaller pipes were installed in and across the canal following the massive 2006 sewage spill.

"This project is very important for protecting our environment and public health in Waikiki," Carlisle said. "Investing wisely in our infrastructure is the key to preparing for our future."

The Beachwalk Force Main project includes the installation of 5,800 feet of new, 72-inch diameter pipe running from the Ala Wai Elementary School, near the makai end of University Avenue, to the Moana Park Wastewater Pump Station at the Atkinson Street entrance to Ala Moana Beach Park.

The new pipe consists of five segments, four of which have now been installed. Specialized pipe for the final segment is slated to arrive this week, and the entire project is expected to be completed by early 2013.

The two 28-inch diameter temporary pipes that will be removed from the canal this week are separate from the 48-inch diameter temporary pipe that became visible when a portion floated to the surface of the canal last month. That temporary pipe was re-submerged and will be removed after the final segment of the permanent new pipe is installed.

Once the entire $46 million project is complete, two reliable systems will transport wastewater from Waikiki: the existing 48-inch diameter pipe running beneath Ala Wai Boulevard; and the new 72-inch diameter pipe running beneath Ala Wai Park, crossing the canal and under Ala Wai Blvd to the pump station. Click HERE for more information. 

The City has also begun a separate project that will rehabilitate 6,000 feet of sewer lines in Waikiki along Kuhio Avenue between Namahana Street and Liliuokalani Avenue. The $5.7 million project is expected to be completed in the summer of 2013. Click HERE for more information.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • Ige says he can beat Hanabusa in a potential 2018 match-up

    Ige says he can beat Hanabusa in a potential 2018 match-up

    Friday, August 18 2017 3:14 AM EDT2017-08-18 07:14:10 GMT

    When we asked Governor David Ige if he could beat Colleen Hanabusa in a potential match-up in 2018, he didn't hesitate with this response. "Certainly. I believe that I will be successful for any of those candidates that are considering it," he said. While Ige says he's sure he could win reelection in 2018, he says he doesn't know why powerful democratic forces are looking to defeat him with a candidate like Hanabusa in the primary election next August. "I don't know....

    More >>

    When we asked Governor David Ige if he could beat Colleen Hanabusa in a potential match-up in 2018, he didn't hesitate with this response. "Certainly. I believe that I will be successful for any of those candidates that are considering it," he said. While Ige says he's sure he could win reelection in 2018, he says he doesn't know why powerful democratic forces are looking to defeat him with a candidate like Hanabusa in the primary election next August. "I don't know....

    More >>
  • US soldier killed in battle with IS in Afghanistan

    US soldier killed in battle with IS in Afghanistan

    Thursday, August 17 2017 9:29 AM EDT2017-08-17 13:29:13 GMT
    Friday, August 18 2017 3:11 AM EDT2017-08-18 07:11:49 GMT
    US military says American soldier killed, several wounded in battle with Islamic State militants in eastern Afghanistan.More >>
    US military says American soldier killed, several wounded in battle with Islamic State militants in eastern Afghanistan.More >>
  • US: War would be 'horrific' but NKorea nukes 'unimaginable'

    US: War would be 'horrific' but NKorea nukes 'unimaginable'

    Thursday, August 17 2017 2:38 AM EDT2017-08-17 06:38:58 GMT
    Friday, August 18 2017 3:11 AM EDT2017-08-18 07:11:47 GMT

    The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff told reporters that President Donald Trump directly has "told us to develop credible viable military options and that's exactly what we're doing."

    More >>

    The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff told reporters that President Donald Trump directly has "told us to develop credible viable military options and that's exactly what we're doing."

    More >>
Powered by Frankly