HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hard Rock Cafe Honolulu announced today that it has been awarded LEED® Silver established by the U.S. Green Building Council and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI). LEED is the nation's preeminent program for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
"With each new LEED-certified building, we get one step closer to USGBC's vision of a sustainable built environment within a generation," said Rick Fedrizzi, President, CEO & Founding Chair, U.S. Green Building Council. "As the newest member of the LEED family of green buildings, Hard Rock Cafe Honolulu is an important addition to the growing strength of the green building movement."
Hard Rock Cafe Honolulu achieved LEED Silver certification for energy use, lighting, water and material use as well as incorporating a variety of other sustainable strategies. By using less energy and water, LEED certified buildings save money for families, businesses and taxpayers; reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and contribute to a healthier environment for residents, workers and the larger community.
LEED certification of Hard Rock Cafe Honolulu was based on a number of green design and construction features that positively impact the project itself and the broader community. These features include:
· On-site recycling of Hi-5, cardboard, office paper, and electronics.
· Food waste is recycled through Eco-Feed Inc.
· Flooring in the retail shop is made from recycled tiles, recycled bottles, and FSC-certified bamboo.
· Local purchasing of produce, coffee grinds, brews, baked goods and fish.
· 100% recycled shopping bags.
· Menus, business cards, and letterheads printed on 30% PCW paper with soy-based and recycled inks.
· Office paper is 30% PCW content.
· 29% saving in lighting power (5,000 watts less than code requirements for family dining restaurants) by using LED, low-voltage track lighting, and motion activated incandescent fixtures.
· 21% saving though highly efficient HVAC system.
· 77% of all kitchen and office appliances are Energy Star certified.
· 50% water saving by installing motion-activated low-flow faucets and waterless urinals as well as dual-flush toilets.
· 100,000 gallons of water saved annually.
· High-efficiency pressurized pre-rinse spray valves installed in the kitchens.
· Drinking water is served at tables upon request only.
· Partnership with the Waikiki Aquarium's Beach Clean-Ups.
Hard Rock Cafe Honolulu was also recently awarded the 2012 Green Business Award for doing its part to protect Hawaii's pristine environment and demonstrating environmental responsibility by conserving water and energy; enhancing environmental quality by developing and implementing practices that prevent pollution and waste; becoming a successful environmental business and sharing their successes within their industry and the community from The State of Hawaii Department of Health, The Honolulu Board of Water Supply, The Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii, and The State of Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism.
Waikiki Aquarium, in conjunction with Hard Rock Cafe and City & County of Honolulu, is hosting a clean-up at Sandy Beach (Makapu'u side) on Saturday 6/9/12. All supplies will be provided and registered adult volunteers will receive a Mahalo gift card courtesy of Hard Rock café.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112