Fire sparked by oven destroys Maui home - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire sparked by oven destroys Maui home

NAHIKU, Maui (HawaiiNewsNow) - Maui firefighters responded to a structure fire in Nahiku late Wednesday night.

According to officials, the fire broke just after 11:45 p.m. When fire crews arrived to the scene, they discovered the 900-square-foot wooden structure fully engulfed in flames.

Fire crews had the blaze under control at about 2 a.m. Wednesday. The fire was extinguished just after 6:30 a.m.

Officials say no one was home at the time of the fire.

Maui police made contact with the owner of the home, who says she left the oven on.

Damages to the structure and contents are estimated at $250,000.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly