(HawaiiNewsNow) - The primary purpose of the Junior Lifeguard Program is to increase the self-confidence, physical conditioning, and ocean awareness of program participants through their introduction to water safety, first-aid, and surf rescue techniques. Instructional methodologies employed include didactic classroom instruction and lectures, and skills training and enhancement.
- Physical Training includes daily warm-ups, stretching, running on the beach, and swimming.
- Ocean Skills Training alternates between paddling rescue boards, using surfboards and bodyboards as rescue tools, rescue tube training, training with the RESCUE operations team and the personal watercraft, performing water entries and exits, snorkeling, bodysurfing, and skills topics including surf awareness and safety.
- Classroom Skills include personal care topics such as skin cancer awareness, eye safety, and maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle through appropriate diet and physical conditioning, as well as a drug and alcohol prevention module focusing on the devastating dangers and consequences of drug and alcohol use. Lifesaving techniques and procedures are introduced through victim detection and first aid instruction, as well as beach and hazard assessment skills, ocean current and surf condition detection, and safety awareness and marine life identification.
- Competitive Training is emphasized with physical training through lifeguard techniques, strategies, skills, and sportsmanship.
1. Participants must be between 13 and 17 years of age. must be 13 yrs of age before June 1st, 2012.
2. Applicants must possess a basic swimming ability with the capability of swimming at least 500 yards.
3. All documentation must be received before the applicant may participate in the program.
2012 Junior Lifeguard Schedule:
Session #1: June 4 - 8
Session #2: June 11 - 15
Session #3: June 18 - 22
Session #4: June 25 - 29
Session #5: July 2 - 6
Session #6: July 9 - 13
Session #7: July 16 - 20
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112