(HawaiiNewsNow) - It's National Hamburger Day! To celebrate, we had an expert burger builder from The Counter come on Sunrise to share some tips on creating healthier yet still undeniably delicious burgers!
Here are some tips for creating healthy delicious burgers-
· Ingredients count. Fresh and best quality ingredients for the burger patties and toppings combined with making them from scratch will add more flavor.
· Go bunless. Change up your burger routine and try putting it on a bed of greens with a lettuce mix, handful of baby spinach or organic mixed greens, like The Counter's Burger In A Bowl.
· Skip the cheese. Save approximately 100 calories by skipping the cheese. If you're a cheese lover and skipping it sounds impossible, opt for a low-fat cheese or Feta, which has 75 calories per ounce.
· Load on the fruits and veggies. Go beyond lettuce and sliced tomatoes with a Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa, grilled pineapple slice, handful of dried cranberries, portion of carrot strings or roasted green chilies.
· Beyond ketchup and mayo. Both of these are high in sugar, calories and fat. A homemade relish, a ginger soy glaze, or tzatziki sauce is a healthier way to add flavor without the fat.
· Use low fat proteins. Turkey or chicken is also a great alternative to beef, and has less fat and cholesterol, as well as a veggie patty.
· Play with spices. You can always use a dry rubs or spice mix to rub on the burger for more flavors.