Wahiawa restaurant fire caused by unattended pan on stove - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Wahiawa restaurant fire caused by unattended pan on stove

Golden Coin restaurant Golden Coin restaurant
Golden Coin restaurant Golden Coin restaurant

WAHIAWA (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu firefighters extinguished a Wahiawa restaurant fire on Wednesday.

According to officials, flames broke out just before 10:50 a.m. at the Golden Coin restaurant located on Kilani Avenue.

Four employees were inside the restaurant at the time of the incident.

Investigators say the fire started after a cook took a break and left a pan filled with oil on the stove unattended. The cook forgot to turn the stove off and the pan caught fire.

Employees tried to douse the oil fire with water, but the flames spread quickly.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze just after 11:15 a.m. using foam.

Officials say the entire kitchen was destroyed and the counter area is badly damaged.

Damages are estimated at $200,000.

No customers were inside of the building and no injuries were reported.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly