UH fire likely caused by wiring

MANOA (HawaiiNewsNow) - Overheated electrical wires appear to be the cause of a Sunday fire that resulted in an estimated $ 1.25 million in damage to a building on the University of Hawaii campus in Manoa.

Honolulu Fire Department investigators said electrical wiring in the fiscal services building overheated; sparking flames within the walls which then extended out into a room and up into roof.

UH says valuable documents were lost, but many of them can be duplicated. UH spokeswoman Lynne Waters says many of the paper documents were stored in a fireproof cabinet.

It took a day and a half before the blaze was finally declared extinguished.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.