Welding cause of Likini street fire

Fire that destroyed Aliamanu home was accidental
Fire that destroyed Aliamanu home was accidental

SALT LAKE (HawaiiNewsNow) - Investigators with the Honolulu Fire Department (HFD) say a fire that destroyed a home at 4509 Likini Street in Aliamanu started in a covered patio behind the house that was used as a workshop.

HFD says the fire began after a resident of the house used a welding torch to weld the frame of a mo-ped and did not notice that heat from the welding had radiated to the combustible material in the mo-ped's seat.

The seat slowly smoldered and caught fire after the occupant had finished his welding project and left home. The fire extended throughout the workshop area and into the house.

The neighboring house also suffered major damage.

On Wedneday, February 8 the first fire companies arrived at scene at 6:37 p.m. The fire was reported under control at 6:53 p.m. and extinguished at 8:38 p.m.

Damage is estimated at $380,000 to the house at 4509 Likini Street and $130,000 to the house at 4513 Likini Street. Ten people were displaced by this fire, five from each house. The American Red Cross responded to provided assistance to the displaced occupants.

The HFD reminds anyone performing hot work, which includes cutting, welding, brazing, soldering, grinding, or similar operations that they must:

1. Take appropriate steps to control any fire that begins while the hot work is being done

2. Ensure that no fire develops after the work is completed

This is best achieved by:

1. Ensuring that a minimum 2A-20BC rated fire extinguisher is located within 30 feet of the hot work operation

2. Providing appropriate shielding to prevent sparks, slag or heat from igniting exposed combustibles

3. Performing a fire watch during hot-work activities that continues for a minimum of 30 minutes after the conclusion of the work

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.