HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The YMCA Strong Communities Annual Support Campaign (ASC) is the YMCA's largest volunteer-driven campaigns, with over 1,000 volunteers soliciting donations to support the YMCA's mission of strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
The campaign runs from February 1 to April 30 , 2012. Organizers are hoping to raise $960,000.
In partnership with the community, the YMCA works to ensure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background—has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. Campaign dollars provide kids a safe place to learn and grow before or after school; offer families opportunities to reconnect and grow together; and provide people of all backgrounds access to education and training to help them reach their full potential.
Last year, financial support made it possible for the YMCA of Honolulu to:
- Provide financial assistance for families who could not afford to send their children to summer programs, swimming classes and other youth enrichment programs.
- Develop "Food and Fun," a nutrition program for kids at 26 YMCA A+ after school program sites.
- Expand much-needed teen programs, especially in the critical after school hours.
- Build teen and college leadership programs, including Youth in Government, Alternative Spring Break.
- Make health and wellness memberships accessible to anyone with the "Membership For All" program (based on household income).
- Provide tailored programs and events for seniors to connect with their community and continue healthy lifestyles
Last year the YMCA of Honolulu raised over $900,000 through the ASC campaign and distributed more than $1 million in financial aid. This year's 2012 campaign's goal is $960,000. On average, the Y of Honolulu impacts close to 100,000 individuals per year; on average, about 25% of these individuals receive some type of financial assistance.
Click here for more information.