WASHINGTON (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Department of Defense has identified the six Kaneohe Marines in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan on Thursday.
- Capt. Daniel B. Bartle, 27, of Ferndale, Wash.
- Capt. Nathan R. McHone, 29, of Crystal Lake, Ill.
- MSgt. Travis W. Riddick, 40, of Centerville, Iowa.
- Cpl. Jesse W. Stites, 23, of North Beach, Md.
- Cpl. Kevin J. Reinhard, 25, of Colonia, N.J.
- Cpl. Joseph D. Logan, 22, of Willis, Texas.
The six Kaneohe-based Marines were part of the Lucky Red Lions helicopter squadron HMH-363.
The unit deployed last August to southern Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, and is set to return home in March. The unit's mission is to provide assault support, transport Marines and critical supplies, as well as equipment during expeditionary operations.
U.S. officials say the International Security Assistance Force is investigating the crash, which occurred in the Helmand province.
A U.S. official has reportedly said there was no indication that the CH-53D Sea Stallion was hit by enemy fire.
The heavy-lift choppers are operated exclusively by Squadron 363 based at Kaneohe Bay.