(HawaiiNewsNow) - · Job Quest, a local hiring event, is held every January and features 125+ employers.
· This year, they've partnered with Hire Our Heroes, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce initiative to help veterans and military spouses find jobs.
· While the national unemployment rate is currently 8.6%, the national jobless rate among veterans who served in Afghanistan and Iraq is 12%. For reservists, unemployment jumps to 14%; for military spouses, 26%.
· We will bring home more wounded soldiers from these wars than all other wars combined. Improved body armor and field hospital operations, and the ability to evacuate soldiers quickly, means many lives saved.
Hire Our Heroes is an effort to help these soldiers transition to the civilian workforce. And to let them know that we appreciate their service and welcome them home! These amazing men and women sacrificed for their country -- for all of us -- and helping them find meaningful work is the least we can do.
Some large companies, like Walmart, have already put programs in place to hire veterans and are having great success. Walmart has already appeared on Sunrise with a veteran hire, and they will be hiring for their new store at the job fair on the 18th.
Hiring a Hero comes with a tax break for employers. Get paid to do good!
· Both Mayor Carlisle and Governor Abercrombie have issued proclamations naming January 18th "Hire Our Heroes Day" in Hawaii.
· Job Quest will be held on the same day at the Blaisdell, from 10a.m. to 3p.m. If you are in a position to make a difference in the lives of returning soldiers, then all I can say is…Please help us Hire a Hero!
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112