HPD says fireworks ban is working - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

HPD says fireworks ban is working

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Police Department (HPD) on Tuesday released statistics from the New Year's holiday weekend that indicates the Oahu fireworks ban is working.

HPD says it received 854 calls of fireworks complaints from December 26, 2011, to January 2, 2012, a 40 percent decrease from the 1,408 calls received in 2010 and less than half of the 1,840 calls received in 2009.

Twenty-seven citations for fireworks violations were issued this year compared to 309 citations issued last year.

"We were hoping for voluntary compliance, and the majority of the public obeyed the law. You could see and hear the difference all over Oahu. We are definitely moving in the right direction although there is still work to be done," said Police Chief Louis Kealoha. "Illegal fireworks continue to be a problem in some areas and neighborhoods, and we will be working to address this."

No arrests were made this holiday weekend, police say three people were arrested last year.

Police officers in plainclothes also made several attempts to purchase firecrackers without a permit, but they were turned away. None of the vendors who were approached were willing to sell to a person without a permit according to the department.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly