KANEOHE (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu Fire Department officials said a man sustained "serious and life-threatening" injuries Saturday night in an incident involving an illegal aerial firework.
"He was brought to the Kaneohe fire station with very serious, life-threatening injuries caused by trying to ignite an aerial firework," said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig, who added that the man arrived at the fire station at 8:27 p.m. When asked about the injuries, Seelig said, "They were consistent with an explosion from a large-caliber type of aerial device."
The man was treated by firefighters, and then by EMS paramedics, who transported the man to a hospital emergency room.
"We also had one other fireworks related injury at Kualoa Beach Park. That was to a child who was, again, using fireworks, I'm not sure what type, they weren't aerials, though. And while attempting to throw the fireworks, sustained an injury," Seelig said. EMS officials said they treated the 12-year-old boy shortly after 11 p.m. The boy was transported to the burn center in serious condition.