Fire damages Kahului home; fireworks ruled out as cause - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Fire damages Kahului home; fireworks ruled out as cause

Photo Source: MauiNow.com (Wendy Osher) Photo Source: MauiNow.com (Wendy Osher)
Photo Source: MauiNow.com (Wendy Osher) Photo Source: MauiNow.com (Wendy Osher)
Photo Source: MauiNow.com (Wendy Osher) Photo Source: MauiNow.com (Wendy Osher)

KAHULUI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Maui fire investigators are trying to determine what caused a blaze that caused major damage to a Kahului home Saturday, but have ruled out fireworks as a possible cause.

The fire was reported at 10:21 a.m. at the one-story, single family home at 546 Kanu Place. Authorities said neighbors noticed smoke in the area of Maalo Street.

Investigators said the fire began in the rear of the residence, which was about 50 percent involved in flames when the first fire crews arrived at the scene. The blaze was under control by 10:51 a.m.

A family of four, including a father, mother and two children, were home at the time of the fire but were able to get out safely, authorities said. They were being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Damage to the home was estimated at $400,000, with another $75,000 to its contents. Fire crews said the blaze also caused $10,000 heat exposure damage to a neighboring home's paint and windows.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly