Power strip failure blamed for fire above waterfront restaurant - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Power strip failure blamed for fire above waterfront restaurant

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Fire damaged a second-floor office area above a popular restaurant at Honolulu Harbor Friday night.

According to authorities, the fire started just after 8 p.m. above Nico's Restaurant at Pier 38. Fire crews brought the blaze under control in 20 minutes.

The restaurant was closed at the time. The flames were kept to the second floor of the building, where there are mainly offices.

Investigators said a power strip failure started the blaze in a second-floor office in front of the building used by Pacific Ocean Producers. Damage to the structure was estimated at $200,000, with another $250,000 in damage to the contents, which included life rafts, emergency lights and other marine equipment.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly