HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - If you're like me, you have often wondered about the meaning of that "alphabet soup" that follows a real estate agent's name on their business card. We brought in an expert to spell out an answer. Check out the video of our interview with Ashley Metcalf, a realtor associate with Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties.
· The letters behind a name represent the designations of a real estate agent
· First letter(s) will be R or RA (REALTOR or REALTOR-ASSOCIATE), if the agent is a member of the National Association of REALTORS (NAR) and a member of their local real estate board.
o Analogy: Bachelor's Degree (RA), Master's Degree (R).
o RA means that an agent has met all of the Hawaii Real Estate License Requirements and passed the Hawaii and national license examinations.
o R means that an agent has additional advanced education and experience requirements.
o Note that some Realtors may have years of experience and be very accomplished, but have chosen not to get an (R) designation.
· Any other designations the agent may have will be listed in alphabetical order behind the R or RA. Some examples:
§ Accredited Buyer's Representative
· This designation helps the REALTOR understand the process of purchasing a home from the Buyer's perspective, including how to reduce the risk of liability for the Buyer
§ Certified Residential Specialist
· Only 5% of REALTORS have earned this prestigious designation also known as the Ph.D. of real estate
· Designees demonstrate professionalism and education at a higher standard…emphasis in experience, education and production in residential sales
§ Short Sales & Foreclosure Resource
· Able to assist Sellers and Buyers maneuver through the short-sale and foreclosure process with their comprehensive perspective into all parties involved in the transaction. Gain confidence in getting to the finish line with relevant training to make the process smoother
· Each designation requires its own set of requirements to acquire and maintain current status. Many include experience/production requirements as well as successful completion of advanced education courses. Ask your REALTOR for details on their designations.
· Other letters you may see include: CRB, GRI, CCIM, CIPS, e-PRO, SRES. Note: some agents choose not to list all their designations
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112