HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) will hold its Leaders Week November 7-13 in Honolulu, Hawai'i. Senior Official and Ministerial meetings for Leaders Week will take place from Tuesday, November 8, 2011, through Friday, November 11, 2011, at the Hawai'i Convention Center.
Road closures, parking restrictions, and changes to public transportation routes and public works services will be necessary during these APEC meetings.
Convention Center Area Road Closures and Restrictions
Road closures will begin daily at approximately 6 a.m. and continue through approximately 7 p.m., on Tuesday, November 8, and ending on Friday, November 11. No parking will be permitted on the following streets from November 8 through 11. Fencing and other physical barriers, as well as uniformed law enforcement officers, will be in place to assist the public with traffic flow and identifying the closed roads. "No Parking" signs will be posted.
Vehicular traffic will be limited to vehicles with a law enforcement purpose on the following roadways:
- Kapiolani Boulevard, all lanes, from Kalakaua Avenue to Atkinson Drive.
- Atkinson Drive, all lanes, from Kona Street to Kapiolani Boulevard.
Vehicular traffic will be limited but not closed on the following roadway:
- Kalakaua Avenue, from Kapiolani Boulevard to the Ala Wai Canal will be open, but with reduced lanes.
There will be intermittent closures of other intersections in the vicinity of the Hawai'i Convention Center that may temporarily affect vehicular and pedestrian movement.
Special accommodations for area residents: There will be a 24-hour modified traffic pattern for Kahakai Drive from Monday, November 7 through Sunday, November 13. Access to Kahakai Drive from Atkinson Drive will be closed. Area residents will be permitted to enter via the small private lane between the Atkinson Towers and Jade apartment buildings located at 419A Atkinson Drive.
Convention Center Area Parking Restrictions
No parking will be allowed at any time from Monday, November 7 through Sunday, November 13 in affected areas. Vehicular parking restrictions will be coordinated and enforced by the Honolulu Department of Transportation Services and the Honolulu Police Department.
Appropriate signs will be posted and enforced on the following roadways:
- Kahakai Drive, both sides, throughout the entire length of the street.
- Kapiolani Boulevard, both sides, from Kaheka Street to Kalakaua Avenue.
- Kalauokalani Way, both sides, from Makaloa Street to Kapiolani Boulevard.
The following parking prohibition will be enforced 24 hours-per-day from Tuesday, November 8 through Sunday, November 13:
- Atkinson Drive, Kokohead (South) side only, from Ala Moana Boulevard to Kapiolani Boulevard.
- Hobron Lane, ewa (North) side, from Kaioo Drive to Ala Moana Boulevard.
- Hilton Hawaiian Lagoon parking lot-Harbors division.
- Koa Avenue, makai side, 100 feet ewa (West) of Uluniu Avenue.
- Ohua Avenue, ewa (West) side, makai of Kuhio Avenue.
- Beachwalk, both sides, from South King Street to Kalakaua Avenue.
No parking will be permitted Tuesday, November 8 through Friday, November 11 between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on the following roadways:
- Kaheka Street, Koko Head (South) side from Kapiolani Boulevard to S. King Street.
- Makaloa Street, both sides from Kalakaua Avenue to Sheridan Street.
- McCully Street, both sides, from South King Street to Kalakaua Avenue.
The following parking prohibition will be enforced for 24 hours on Friday, November 11:
- Beretania Street, makai (South) side only, from Punahou Street to Kalakaua Avenue.
Please exercise caution while parking in these areas during APEC Leaders' Week to ensure compliance with the temporary parking restrictions.
Convention Center Area Pedestrian Restrictions
The following sidewalks and walkways will be continuously closed from Monday, November 7 through Sunday, November 13:
- Atkinson Drive, Kokohead (South) side only, from Kahakai Drive to Kapiolani Boulevard.
- Kapiolani Boulevard, Kokohead (South) side only, from Atkinson Drive to Kalakaua Avenue.
- Kalakaua Avenue, makai (West) side only, from Kapiolani Boulevard to Ala Wai Boulevard.
- The Promenade walkway from Kalakaua Avenue to the security barricade makai (South) of Kahakai Drive.
The following crosswalks will be closed 24 hours-per-day from Monday, November 7 through Sunday, November 13:
- Atkinson Drive/Kapiolani Boulevard, makai (South) side crosswalk.
- Kapiolani Boulevard/Kalakaua Avenue, Ewa (West) side crosswalk
- Kalakaua Avenue/Pau Street.
Pedestrian traffic inside the restricted areas will be permittedfor owners/employees of local businesses that fall within the secure area. Credentials issued by the U.S. Secret Service or the Department of State's Bureau of Diplomatic Security will be required to gain access.
Routes 3, 9, and CityExpress A will be detoured in the Convention Center area from Tuesday, November 8 through Friday, November 11 from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Specific detour information will be disseminated by the Department of Transportation Services and Oahu Transit Service, Inc.
The public is urged to reduce non-essential travel into and out of the Waikiki-Ala Moana area as traffic is expected to be congested, thereby negatively affecting the schedule of the buses.
City Trash Collection
The traffic associated with the road closures may affect services delivered by Honolulu's Department of Environmental Services. Up-to-date information on city provided trash collection will be available at www.opala.gov.
Information and updates will be available online through the following websites:
Honolulu Police Department: 808-499-4653 or 808-499-4654
U.S. State Department's Bureau of Diplomatic Security, 571-345-2499 (through November 3, 2011); 202-320-2434 (November 4-13, 2011)