AFGHANISTAN (HawaiiNewsNow) - A Hawaii-based soldier supporting Operation Enduring Freedom was killed in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense announced Monday that Staff Sgt. Houston M. Taylor of Hurst, Texas died on Oct. 13 in the Kunar province.
The 25 year old was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.
According to officials, Staff Sgt. Taylor arrived to Schofield Barracks on Mar. 1, 2010. He was assigned as a Section Leader for the Brigade Focused Targeting Force.
Staff Sgt. Taylor's awards and decorations include the following:
- Bronze Star Medal
- Purple Heart
- Army Commendation Medal (2 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Army Achievement Medal (3 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Meritorious Unit Citation
- Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal
- Iraqi Campaign Medal with 3 Bronze Stars
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal with Bronze Service Star
- Global War on Terrorism Medal
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon with numeral 3
- NATO Medal
- Combat Infantryman Badge
Staff Sgt. Taylor was married with two children.