Boxes on stove spark Waikiki high rise fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Boxes on stove spark Waikiki high rise fire

WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu firefighters were called to a Waikiki high rise on Friday after a fire was reported just before 1 a.m.

According to officials, new residents at the Diamond Head Vista left their moving boxes on top of the stove and accidentally turned on the burners.

Fire investigators say someone accidentally bumped the stove's switch after putting the boxes on the stove. It is unclear how long the boxes were there.

The building does not have sprinklers.

Damages are estimated at $15,000.

Fire officials say the incident is a reminder to never use the stove top as a counter top.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly