CARSON, Calif. (HawaiiNewsNow) - Authorities in California said at least three females were victims in the sex abuse case against local entertainer Cecilio Rodriguez. And they said there may be even more victims in California and Hawaii.
Rodriguez, 66, was arrested last week on two counts of lewd acts upon a child. He was released from custody Saturday night after posting $200,000 bail.
According to the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department, one of the victims told detectives that the abuse happened between 1994 and 1997 in Carson, Calif. Detectives said they identified three females, who were aged five to eight years old when the alleged acts occurred. Earlier reports said two females were sisters. Detectives said Rodriguez was a family friend.
The sheriff's office said the allegations were not revealed by the victim until recently, when her father asked to deliver a package to Rodriguez's residence in Hawaii. Detectives said that's when the victim told her father of the abuse.
The woman then reported the crime to sheriff's deputies in Carson on June 23, which began the investigation by the sheriff's Special Victims Bureau detectives. The case was then presented to the Los Angeles Country District Attorney's office on Sept. 27. Rodriguez was arrested the following day at a home in Carson.
Rodriguez is one half of the popular longtime local group Cecilio & Kapono.
Related story: New details in singer's alleged sex abuse case