The Hawaiian Humane Society was organized on the grounds of Iolani Palace in 1883. In 1897, Helen Kinau Wilder was given the authority to enforce animal cruelty laws. At that time, the Society's officers ventured out on horseback rather than in animal rescue trucks.
Our welfare efforts aimed more at work animals than pet cats or dogs. Even then, education was a top priority. In a time when animal information was very basic, it fell to those founding members to raise public awareness about the proper care, feeding and humane treatment of animals. The vision of those early pioneers guides the Society's efforts today.
The Hawaiian Humane Society's mission is a joyful one full of challenges and opportunities. Since 1942, its busy shelter in the heart of Moiliili has become a community hub for animal lovers featuring 30 programs and services focused on strengthening the human animal bond: rescuing the abused, engaging volunteers, fighting for better laws and caring for nearly 30,000 animals a year.