KOLOA (HawaiiNewsNow) – Kauai Fire inspectors believe that last week's fire in Koloa which destroyed two structures was most likely started by a cigarette.
"While there is no reason to believe this fire was intentionally set, we continue to urge the public to NEVER throw cigarettes on the ground or out of a car window," says Fire Prevention Captain Daryl Date. "And be sure that cigarettes are completely extinguished before disposing."
Last week's fire started near Ala Kinoiki and spread to the residential area along Kipuka Street. It destroyed a home and a cottage on Kipuka Street and damaged several other properties.
The fire had burned through roughly 50 acres of brush before it was extinguished, roughly three hours after it began. Fire inspectors estimate the fire caused upwards of $950,000 in damages.
"Fires can be prevented," states Captain Darryl Date. "Please be responsible and help to keep our community safe!"
"Our agricultural landscape here on Kaua'i can become highly susceptible to wildfires, especially during these dry, hot months," adds Captain Date. "Each of us can play a role in fire prevention by following just a few simple tips:"
- Be sure cigarettes are extinguished before disposing. Use large, non-combustible ashtrays.
- Keep your lawn green! Brown, dry vegetation is a fire hazard.
- Leave at least 30 feet of space between your home and any overhanging trees or bushes, such as guinea grass.
- Clear your roof, gutters and eaves of any leaves and other debris.
- Keep lighters and matches away from children.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
- Have an emergency evacuation plan and practice it often with your family.