HPD to use fight video in investigation - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

HPD to use fight video in investigation

Video previously found on YouTube of the recent Aloha Tower fight Video previously found on YouTube of the recent Aloha Tower fight
Louis Kealoha Louis Kealoha
There will be another concert at the same venue on Friday - August 26th. There will be another concert at the same venue on Friday - August 26th.

By Brooks Baehr - bio | email

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – Honolulu police have opened two new assault cases in the aftermath of a brawl late last week after a concert at Aloha Tower and say they are using YouTube video of the fracas in their investigation.

"It looks like just a lot of sporadic fights happening and people getting punched out," said police Chief Louis Kealoha, who has seen clips of the fight on Hawaii News Now.

Four people have been arrested for their role in the brawl.

Three men were arrested immediately after the fight. Two men from Laie, 24 and 25 years old, were booked for disorderly conduct (a petty misdemeanor) and resisting arrest (a misdemeanor). A 24 year old from Kaimuki was charged with disorderly conduct. About a half an hour later a 21 year old Hauula man was arrested just a block from Aloha Tower. He has been charged with two counts of assault in the third degree and contempt of court.

"We did our job. We did what we were supposed to do," Kealoha said.

Police were not working the concert. Instead there was private security. And eight off-duty deputy sheriffs had been hired to work "special duty" at the perimeter of the event.

When fights broke out during the concert, the sheriffs asked promoters to stop the music early. When the violence escalated, the sheriffs called-in four on-duty deputies who were stationed at the state capitol and they called HPD.

Someone posted a three and a half minute clip of the fracas on YouTube. That clip may be critical in bringing people to justice.

"Absolutely. We are using that as part of the investigation as well as interviewing some of the people that were there," Kealoha said.

There will be another concert - - at the same venue - - on Friday August, 26th. Kealoha said police will be talking with management about security before anyone takes the stage.

Hawaii News Now had quoted people as saying a man injured in the fight had fallen into a coma. Police say that is not true. They say everyone who was hurt was treated and out of the hospital within five hours.

 

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly