Maui standoff ends peacefully

Josiah Okudara is put into MPD patrol car, Source: U.S. Marshals Service
Josiah Okudara is put into MPD patrol car, Source: U.S. Marshals Service
Josiah Okudara is put into MPD patrol car
Josiah Okudara is put into MPD patrol car

KAHULUI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Maui police have arrested a suspect that was barricaded inside a Kahului home for more than 50 hours.

Police arrested Josiah Okudara at 3:07 p.m. Friday afternoon. MPD says Okudara was taken into custody when voluntarily he walked out of the house.

The County of Maui released a news statement late Friday afternoon thanking the Maui Police Department for their patience and determination in ending the stand-off situation peacefully.

"Chief Yabuta and his men are to be commended," said Mayor Alan Arakawa. "Their actions kept our residents safe and managed to end this without injury to their officers or to the suspect.  I'd also like to thank the Red Cross for taking care of those displaced during this event and our residents for their patience. This was a bad situation that could have ended much worse had the community not kept their cool."

The dramatic standoff began Wednesday at about 1 p.m. when detectives received information that fugitive Okudara may be inside the home located on Opukea Street.

A man who was inside the home with Okudara peacefully surrendered to authorities Thursday afternoon after police shot tear gas into the house.

Two women and a young child voluntarily came out of the home earlier in the day.

Police reported hearing gunshots several times during the standoff.

"The home that we're in, which we just moved in three to four days ago, is about three to four houses down from where everything was happening," said Kahului resident Fred Kuhia.

Kuhia was at work when he heard about the barricade situation. He waited nearly 10 hours to pick up his two youngest children who were locked down in his home with his roommates.

"Every phone call that came in was super intense. We didn't know if there was problems with my son or just an update on what was going on," said Kuhia.

Kuhia and his family ended up spending the night in a Red Cross shelter.

"People are concerned, but at least they're in a safe place. They received breakfast. We have lunch ordered," said shelter manager Marty Adler.

Red Cross volunteers helped 30 people being kept away from their homes. They served 83 meals, crisis counseling services and provided canteen services for Emergency Responders at the scene.

Okudara is a person of interest in a May 14 crash on Kahekili Highway that killed Tiare Franco of Haiku.

The 22 year old is also wanted on two grand jury warrants for attempted murder in connection with a shooting in July 2010.

We'll have the latest tonight on Hawaii News Now beginning at 5 p.m.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.