HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - On Saturday, June 25, Oahu's senior motorists are invited to get a free "CarFit" check up at Leeward Community College.
CarFit is designed to give older drivers a quick but comprehensive check of how well they fit in their vehicle. The entire process is offered as a free public service by AARP Hawaii, the Occupational Therapy Association of Hawaii and AAA. It takes about 20 minutes and participants leave with a list of resources and recommended adjustments they can make to their vehicle.
The check ups will take place from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Those who pre-register get first priority. The public can call AARP at 843-1906 to schedule their 20 minute appointment.
What kind of adjustments are part of the CarFit checklist?
- Clear line of sight over the steering wheel – at least three inches above the wheel
- Plenty of room between our chest and the front airbag and steering wheel.
- A seat you fit in comfortably.
- Properly adjusted head restraints.
- Easy access to gas and brake pedals.
- A safety belt that holds you in the proper position and remains comfortable as you drive.
- Properly positioned side and rearview mirrors.
Click here to view the complete 12-point checklist and watch 12 short CarFit videos.