HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - On Saturday, April 30, Ciao Mein restaurant at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa will close its doors after 20 years of service.
As a thank you to its customers, the restaurant is releasing the recipe for one of its most popular desserts, tiramisu.
Hyatt Regency Waikiki is planning a massive renovation on the third floor in preparation for two new restaurant openings, Shor American Seafood Grill and Japengo, an Asian fusion restaurant.
Chef George Lemson opened Ciao Mein in 1991 and will be the new chef at Shor.
Recipe Courtesy: Ciao Mein
Difficulty Level: 3
(Based on scale of 1-10 with 1 being easy)
Tiramisu Sambuca Espresso
- 4 oz Espresso or strong Kona coffee
- 1 oz Sambuca Romana Liqueur
- Combine ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir until the coffee is completely dissolved.
- Reserve and chill.
- 26 oz Mascarpone Cheese, room temperature
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 6 oz Granulated Sugar
- 3 Egg Whites
- Using an electric mixer, add Mascarpone Cheese, egg yolks and half of the sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, add egg whites and beat at medium speed until foamy. Increase speed to high and gradually add remaining sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of egg whites into mascarpone mixture to lighten.
- Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Set Aside
- 1 Box Lady Fingers (you can purchase in specialty store or make from scratch)
- 1 Sambuca Espresso (see recipe)
- 1 Tiramisu Filling (see recipe)
- Cocoa Powder for sprinkling
- Dark Chocolate Shavings for decorating
- Arrange half of the Lady Fingers on bottom of a 2" x 9" x 12" pan (preferably glass or china)
- Put Sambuca Espresso mixture in a squeeze bottle and squeeze half all over the ladyfingers
- Gently spread half of the Tiramisu Filling over espresso-soaked Lady Fingers. Dust with cocoa powder.
- Repeat layering process with Lady Fingers, Sambuca Espresso mixture, Tiramisu filling and cocoa powder.
- Spread chocolate shavings evenly over the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours or overnight to let the filling set.
- 1 Tiramisu Assembly (see recipe)
- 1 Sprig of Mint
- 2 oz. Fresh Strawberries, quartered
- 1 oz Chocolate Sauce (not chocolate syrup)
- 1 oz Vanilla Sauce
- Sauce the serving plate with anglaise and chocolate sauces
- Place tiramisu in center of plate.
- Garnish with sprig of mint and strawberries.